formatting hd... reinstalling windows XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mistiquee, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Mistiquee

Mistiquee Private E-2

This sounds simple, and I thought it would be, and I've searched and tried to figure it out as best I can. I thought I knew how to do this. I have reinstalled windows XP from my Dell XPS 400 (built in) and it worked fine. Years ago I used to reinstall Windows 98 but starting in dos and formatting the C drive then putting D with setup (I don't know dos but found out that much, at the time) I also have a Windows 7 laptop, I got reinstall DVDs from Toshiba, put them in (followed directions) and it worked fine.... bear with me, I am a "grandma" and sometimes I think I know something about comuters, and then I don't and it's frustrating. Probably the same for people I ask about this, too.
    Current problem is, I have a Dell Dimension 3000 WinXP that is around 8 years old. It was in the family, various people used it at time, and I don't know what they did to it, and they probably don't either. I decided I could reinstall Windows XP (Home Edition) and get rid of a lot of junk and give it a new lease on liife.
    First I tried doing this from the hd (I didn't have any reinstall CDs) and it apparently didn't have this. I tried it using setup from the i386 files, and that seemed to work, but didn't wipe the hd first, and installed a version of Windows that was in a foreign language. (I thought I'd always made sure English was selected). Also, there were 2 versions of Windows installed, one the old one (with all the files, still) and one the new one in the foreign language (or some of it was). When it started it would show and say to pick which one and hit ENTER. I had the new one with the foreign language and the old one with all my files, still.
    I looked for Dell reinsall discs, and found I could get these free, with the computer number and same address it was shipped to when we bought it. I ran Belarc Advisor on it and found the product code, and "home edition", etc from that.
    Dell sent me the reinstall CDs and I tried this today. Did what their directions said changed the boot order to start with the CD drive, put in the main disk and restarted. Went through this several times trying to format the hd and get it all on new-once. It's still just installing it on one part of the hd (apparently) and even though I tried various formats from the choices (NTFS, quick, and regular) and have the instructions from Dell printed out, it still was coming up with 2 installations to pick from. I googled it, found others with the same problem, said to go in the ini/boot file (told how) and delete one of the boot options. I did this and now only one-not in the foreign language starts. But, a black screen with writing and a choice to pick which installation to use still comes up (with only one choice, which starts on it's own if I don't hit ENTER) I think this is a problem that totally formatting the hd and getting one good installation on will fix.
    Looking in My Computer, I now see TWO hd listed. the C one (with the almost 80 gb of space, so apparently all the old files are gone) and D drive with 3.-something gb of space out of 4gb. I think at one time the CD/DVD drives were D and E. the D drive also has folders like My Documents, etc (nothing in them) Apparently, the hd is now set up like it's 2.
    I thought maybe the smaller one was set up in the install like a repair/reinstal one for future use, but seems to have empty folders like the C drive.
    The CD/DVD drives are now E and F (they used to be D and E)
    I was almost positive there was only one hd in it, but just to be sure I took the case off and checked. Only one. So, the D drive must be part of this.
    What I would like to do, though I might be missing something in this, is wipe the hd and reinstall the Windows XP (from the Dell disc, there are also others with the drivers, and such, even though their directions say to go to their website and download all the drivers needed after Windows is installed.)
    I've been thinking about running cmd and format C but the little I know of this (dos) comes from Windows 98 that had actual dos that openned. Even if I got this rght, not sure what to do next, after (if it did format the hd that way). Maybe D and setup? Anyway, I decided to try and explain this and see if anyone can make sense of it, and tell me clearly and simply what to do. I'm probably making it harder and more confusing than it really is, and anyone who understands it, I'm sure it's simple. When I got the discs from Dell I though I'd just put them in, and it would set it up and reinstall, on it's own.
    Since I have other computers (Win XP and a Windows 7 laptop, both I have reinstalled Windows in, with no problems) this one is more of a learning experience.
    Thanks....

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Your hard drive had been partitioned into two "drives" hence the "C" and "D" designations.

On one of your working computers, download MiniTool Partition Wizard's bootable CD. It's an iso image that you'll need to burn to a CD. The site gives some explanations on what to expect and how to work with it.

Boot the "problematic" computer with this CD. Delete the smaller partition and wipe the larger one (single pass, overwrite with all zeroes). You should now be left with a single unallocated drive. You can then create a single partition occupying the entire drive, assign the drive to letter "C", give the drive a label and format it to NTFS all from within the wizard interface.

When you restart the computer with the Windows install CD you can leave the formatting untouched. This will speed up the installation process somewhat for you.

Let me know how you make out. :)

3. Mistiquee

Mistiquee Private E-2

Thank You!!! It seems clear and I will follow it and let you know. I knew I just needed to know what to do, and someone would know this.
    At some point I realize it's easier to ask than keep trying to find all the ways it "doesn't work" :)

4. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

I have a question for you mdonah (or anyone) on this issue. When I right click on the main drive icon in XP, what does the "format" option on the menu give me the ability to do? Is it possible to reformat an entire hard drive (wipe all partitions, etc.) using this selection. Not knowing what the option is for, it seems like an odd place for the feature to be...

5. Mistiquee

Mistiquee Private E-2

I was thinking about that, too. like you can format a flash drive using the right click. I wasn't sure about it, either. and even if (in my case) I formatted the C drive and/or the second partition on it (D) it might still say partitioned. I still haven't gotten the partition wizard to work on mine. Got hung up on buring the iso file (something I never really understood, I just downloaded isobuster and extracted it to another file and burned that. I also burned the download onto a CD (it says in the directions to download it and burn to a CD) I have Nero, and looking in google it says this can be used to burn iso files but I couldn't find an option that showed the downloaded file as a supported file to do this.
    Also, say I do manage to get the partition wizard program running on the XP I need to fix, is there any special size for the partition that is needed to put the new Windows XP on, or will it set that up itself?
    I used to do this with old computers (people would give them to me instead of throwing them out because I wanted to learn on them) I have a full install Windows 98 CD that came with my first Dell in 1998 (sometimes when I mention this I get lectures about how it's illegal to use one Windows install CD in another. Though I don't think it was quite as picky in 1998 and that is beside the point) I managed to learn enough dos I would start the computer in dos (not sure if this is the same in XP though I know there is a command prompt for it) and put is something... like format C:\ and it would wipe the drive. Then, I'd have the CD in, and put setup D:\ (not sure, haven't done it for years) and it would start the CD and install Windows from this. If it came to partitions it would just ask if I wanted it to, and I'd click yes. Is there anything like that can be done now to wipe a hd and install windows? I realize there is a lot I don't know and need to learn, but don't always know WHAT this is till I come to it, trying to do something. A few help forums I've asked on, I've ended up feeling dumb like I shouldn't even be trying to do this, and maybe some people are just born knowing. I have downloaded from Major Geeks and remembered there was a help forum so decided to try with this. Thanks for having patience, it's probably not always easy to figure out what I am asking about since I'm not always sure myself...

6. Mistiquee

Mistiquee Private E-2

... anyway, I've got a few CDs made with various formats of the partition wizard, I tried opening it on the computer I downloaded it on, and it just set it up, so maybe it didn't need to be extracted with the isobuster. but, the first CD I made woudln't open on the broken one. This does load windows, I tried My Computer and open on the CD/DVD drive (which works or did) tried going to boot options and setting it to open with this. I have a flash drive, but not sure the USB is set up to work now (drivers, or whatever). I'm just thinking these problems are great chances to learn a lot about a lot...

7. mdonah

That right click option can be used to format other drives (like external USB hard drives) right from within Windows. I've not tried to format my "C" drive while my OS is running and I don't think you should either! ;)

8. Mistiquee

Mistiquee Private E-2

Good answer about formatting the C drive while the OS is running. Didn't even think of that. That's why some people are "Major Geeks" I wonder why they have the option there (on C drive)? Doesn't really matter I guess. One thng I am learning is if I'm not sure about something, but only "think" it might be, to ask people who know, first to verify it.

9. mdonah

The other computer that's running XP has an image burning wizard built into the Operating System (I'm not sure about Windows 7). You simply right click on the .iso image file and select burn to CD after you've inserted a blank CD into the drive. But doing it this way, you can't verify the burn.

There are a couple of applications that do the job of burning .iso to CD/DVD very well. One is CDBurnerXP and the other is Ashampoo Burning Studio 6 Free. I've used both. They are both freeware and MUCH simpler to use than Nero or Roxio. They will both verify the burn as well so that you can make sure you've got a good CD instead of a frisbee or wind chime element. ;)

10. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

If you take that right click option to format the C drive the computer will reboot and do exactly that. It's the simplest way to clear the partition before reinstalling XP. You can then boot to your XP installation disk and install XP to the cleared partition. You should not be trying to remove the second partition as there are powerful arguments for keeping your data files, including all the XP My folders, on a separate partition.

11. mdonah

Well, I'm not a "Major Geek" yet. I've only made it to PFC. :)

12. mdonah

I think you downloaded the Windows setup file instead of the Linux .iso image. Download the .iso image file and burn that to a CD. You do have the boot sequence set to boot from the CD drive ahead of the Hard Drive don't you?

13. Mistiquee

Mistiquee Private E-2

I had right clicked on the downloaded file (the partition wizard) and didn't see any option to burn. I just looked again and expanded SEND TO and it said send to musicmatch burner plus, but it says "audio CD" on it. Keeps saying there is no CD in my drive (I had a DVD) I found a CD and it still says that. Keep trying, found one that seems to be working. Musicmatch Burner (I diddn't even know I had) finally burned it. Now I have at least 3 various ones to try on the broken computer. Since it still has Windows in it (the latest install, without drivers) I might be able to open the Wizard from My Computer and not from boot to disc. I'll be back. Sometimes I think I have stranger problems than anyone else. Or maybe I'm not sure just what the problems are, so it seems that way.

14. mdonah

You can install Windows on a smaller partition if you want. I would recommend that you not set the partition size to less than 20 GB because you'll need space for "pagefile.sys" which Windows uses to store information from RAM when you put the computer into standby and "System Volume Information" which Windows uses to store information for Restore Points.

I'm running XP Pro myself and currently Windows occupies 4.1 GB on my hard drive, pagefile.sys occupies 3 GB and System Volume Information occupies 3.9 GB. You'll want to give the partition some "breathing room". When a "drive" becomes more than 50% full, problems can develop, like the computer becoming sluggish.

15. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

I'll say it once more - YOU DO NOT NEED TO REPARTITION THIS DRIVE. You are just making a simple job unnecessarily complicated. Re-read #10

16. Mistiquee

Mistiquee Private E-2

I downloaded the first one, said for Windows XP. One of the cds worked, I went to My Computer and openned it. I did have it set to boot from the CD but seems like it kept opening in windows anyway.I deleted the D and formatting C with all 000's it's doing that now. There were also 2 other amounts showDisk INdex:1 Wiping Method: Fill SEctors with Zero starting LBA 112455 ending LBA 149034941
    It said to restart before it did this (wiped)

17. Mistiquee

Mistiquee Private E-2

I didn't read Eathlking saying to use the right click and format, till just now. Before that I read Mdonah saying he never tried it and wouldn't. I guess if I ever do this again, I will know more about it. And I realize I make things more complicated, I guess that's because I don't know much about it. Like figuring out how to burn an iso file before this.

18. Mistiquee

Mistiquee Private E-2

STOP: c0000218 {Registry File Failure}
    the registry cannot load the hive(file):
    \Systemroot\sttem32\confiug\security
    or its log or alternate.
    it is corrupt, absent, or not writable.
    now what?

19. mdonah

I wish I was physically with you to see exactly what you did and what the results were. I have never encountered the stop error you describe, so at this point, I have no idea what to tell you. I'm terribly sorry. :cry

I thought I'd be able to help you because I've done what you're attempting to do, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Once again, I'm sorry. :-o

20. AtlBo

Mystiquee, you aren't dumb. There is alot to know. You have hit on how Windows has changed, especially since XP, with the first part of the above. MS removed the ability to enter DOS during boot up for XP and beyond. This process is one of a handfull of them that are a little bit more difficult as a result I think. Another one would be copying files to a backup disk if a sector in your main hard drive goes bad and the OS won't run/load. Now you have to use a boot disk and move the files or physically remove the drive from the PC with the broken OS and attach it to another as the slave drive. Then you can use the OS on the second PC to move/retrieve the files. Honestly, I wish there were a DOS 8 that had some nice tools like a boot disk. MS sort of propreitarized their boots kind of like Apple.

OK Earthling, so I can theoretically use the format option in the right click menu of My Computer to format the C:\? I've noticed it several times and wondered why there aren't more horror stories associated with that option.

Mystiquee...I think Earthling is saying that you could keep your second partition, then, once you have the first one going with XP, clear everything from the 2nd one and use it for your files. The idea is to keep your files on a partition containing only your files as this area of the drive will be less likely to fail, since it would be used less. I do this exact thing but on a separate drive, drive D:\. I keep about 5 GB of music, pictures, and videos on D:\, along with backups of C:\Documents and Settings and the C drive registry. Then I back up the music, pictures, and videos to a 3rd drive, drive G:\

Anyway, you are definitely on the right track to come here and ask. The help is the best anywhere, and you have the advantage of being able to download the software here.

A little tip I have learned here. When someone refers you to a program to download at MG. Create a new tab and Google "Major Geeks *download title here*". That will give you the download page, and you can go straight to it.

21. AtlBo

Mistiquee...
    You're on the right track.

I would keep that knowledge of how to burn an .iso. It could come in very handy for you. I recommend you download and burn Hiren's boot disk here:

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

This is an outstanding boot cd that you just plop in if you can't boot into your OS. Lots of tools there, but mainly you can use the MiniXP option to gain access to your files and move them to another drive. You can also run many different repair tools and system checks too. For XP, it's sort of an ace up the sleeve to have something like it I think.

Mainly, whichever burner software worked for you, make sure you keep that particular one. You can get rid of the others. I tried a couple of them, but they worked one time and then not again and so on until I found one I can use. I am using Ashampoo Burning Studio 2010, which is working for me for now but isn't free. A buddy on another site helped us get free copies from Ashampoo on the board there.

22. Mistiquee

Mistiquee Private E-2

I googed the error (while waiting) and found others asking the same thing, but they got the error message while using Windows. I'm not to upset up sidetracks with this, because it's a spare computer that's been hanging around, others in the family had used it and don't know what they did. I know a little bit about some of it, like some things in the BIOS, I guess having problems and figuring them out helps us learn. I can always buy another hard drive (next month, I live from month to month on social security) and start totally fresh. This PC is 8 years old.
    I think I am going to try the reinstall DVD I got from Dell again, now, maybe the extra partition was deleted, and that seemed to be the problem.
    Wanted to say, one thing I did find out (maybe everyone already knows this) that Dell will send reinstall DVDs (free) to people, who are the original owners, once. they just sent me the one for this, I got the product number using Belarc Advisor and still at the same address it was originally delivered to. Not only did they send them free, they sent them FedEx overnight. (I just reinstalled Windows 7 in my Toshiba laptop, which cost $29.99 from Toshiba, but was a lot simplier to do, just put the discs in, one after another. And, we can also make recover discs with Windows 7 before we need them. Just passing this on, it's something I just found out. I liked Windows 98 and could have lived with that (LOL)

23. Mistiquee

Mistiquee Private E-2

Oh, I didn't do anything before the error came up. It was showing progress bars, showing it was formatting. And was almost done.

24. AtlBo

Mystiquee...

XP and beyond are much better than Windows 98. I understand what you mean though. The changes are just too strange with each successive MS OS...very difficult to absorb many of them.

That said, if you are going to replace the drive, you could try Earthling's suggestion. It won't get rid of the smaller partition you have, but you would be able to re-install using the remaining space on the drive. Also, it could be the drive is damaged and perhaps that's why the formatting stopped. If formatting/installing Earthling's way doesn't work, you have validation/verification that something is wrong with the disk.

25. mdonah

I have to do things piecemeal as well, I'm on SSD and a SMALL pension from my state. But be that as it may, I'm glad others have joined in to your quest. Best of luck! :)

26. Mistiquee

Mistiquee Private E-2

Maybe this will help someone else with the same problems. I restarted the computer, after the error message, with the XP installation disc in and it setup Windows. When done, it still showed a 2nd drive (now F) but nothing in it. I went to Disc Management and deleted it, now it's gone.There is a disc from Dell that says drivers but I can't get it to work. It either doesn't start (hourglass) or says "put a disc in drive D" (the drive just put in the Windows OS so it works). I was thinking it might not start directly and might start from the DVD drive, so have tried setting it to start with that, but it just keeps starting Windows.
    Maybe the computer/hard drive is just old and tired.
    As to Windows 98, I mean I could have used it if they had never put out anything newer and better. I've had Win XP for around 7 years now, and now have a laptop with Windows 7 (I have to keep asking Google where things are in it)
    I was helping someone set up a new laptop with Windows 8 and didn't like that (the person who had it doesn't, either, and so far I don't know anyone who does).
    There's something like that saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Going by that I should have left the old Windows XP one the way it was...
    The driver disc just put up a message it can't read from it, it might be corrupt of a format that can't be read this way (directly) I just took it out of the envelope, new. Maybe it has to be started from the DVD drive directly.
    I hate to give up, I want to get it to work just to see if I can.

27. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Except this doesn't work as Windows won't have anything to run the format from once it has deleted itself.
    But there are two partitions where there really needs to only be one.

My best guess is that as Mistiquee has used the Windows executable version of this tool when the format started inside Windows it deleted something crucial to the operation of Windows.

My fix would be to download http://gparted.sourceforge.net/ which is a free formatting tool that will format & repartition the hard drive quickly and with no confusion as it is a Linux based tool.

28. Mistiquee

Mistiquee Private E-2

okay, it says (in tiny print) on the driver disc it must be run from the d drive. I have it set to boot from that but it's still just opening Windows. The directions they gave from Dell, which didn't make sense to me to follow, said after Windows is put in, to go to the Dell website and download the drivers needed. I'm not even sure what drivers are needed. There's another disc that says anti virus software and programs that come on the computer probably the stuff I usually take out.
    No wonder Dell give you this stuff free. I paid for 4 Toshiba ones, they worked in order, 1 would finish, open and say put in the next. Everything just got put in.

29. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

The Driver disk is simply used to reinstall drivers for the system and not install Windows.

Have you managed to completely erase the hard drive yet? (If that was your original intention)

30. Mistiquee

Mistiquee Private E-2

I think I erased the hard drive, an error message came up right before it was done.
    STOP: c0000218 {Registry File Failure}
    the registry cannot load the hive(file):
    \Systemroot\sttem32\confiug\security
    or its log or alternate.
    it is corrupt, absent, or not writable.
    I figured maybe it had formatted it enough (and the setup disc supposedly formatted it, too) coudn't find anything about the error, only other people asking about it (via Google)
    I put in the Windows reinstall disc and it ran (setup, etc). There was still an extra drive showing (F) after, but with nothing on it, 0 bytes, so I used drive management and removed it. I'm stuck now trying to get the disc with the drivers (that also came from Dell) to start. Just read the tiny print, and says it won't start normally, and have it set to book from the disc, but it still keeps loading Windows when I restart it. I restart it, hit F12 and set it to boot from the CD ROM and hit ENTER and Windows starts. I restart it (or shut it off and start again) and Windows starts again. I tried changing keyboards (putting on and older one that used to be on it, with an old round (port2?) plug, thinking maybe the keyboard wasn't working right but I can highlight things with it.
    The directions (link) I got from Dell said to go on their website and download the drivers and put them in, in specific order. But, they included the disc with the drivers on it. Not even sure what drivers I need, ethernet and ones for the internet. Maybe USB but that usually sets up on it's own. If I can get the "driver and utilites" disc to start I might find out. Now I'm thinking of starting over again, with the Linux download. I'm thinking, if this was a new hd, I bought, like out of the box, it would have nothing on it, and I could use the Windows XP reinstall disc on it. Sort of like back to square one.

31. Mistiquee

Mistiquee Private E-2

I have reinstalled XP on my Dell XPS 400 that is 7 years old, and has the reinstall built in, and recently did this with a Compaq, with Win 7, and got Windows 7 discs (4) from Toshiba for my laptop. That all has worked, without any problem. Of course the XP one I'm playing with how has had several people using it at times and is 8 years old and I don't think ever had Windows reinstalled. I hope I am learning a lot from this LOL

32. AtlBo

Mistiquee...it sounds to me like you are doing it correctly:

Is Windows starting or the Windows XP installation?

Here's how it should go

1. Format the C:\ drive (you should try this one more time. You may have removed the contents of the 2nd partition, but you want the entire disk formatted)
    2. Install Windows
    3. Get the drivers from Dell (or the disk if that's what's on the disk...we can help you with that once you have the OS installed)
    4. Install the factory software (if you want to)

33. Mistiquee

Mistiquee Private E-2

I have Windows in, just now can't get the disc that says "drivers and utilities" to open. I set it to boot from the CD ROM (it did this before with the Windows one) and it just keeps starting Windows. The link that came with it, to tell me how to reinstall it said to go to the Dell website and look for the driver downloads, and put them in, a specific order. Of course if I could set up the internet and use that (on the computer I'm working on) it might be easier to do this. I get into wanting to get it to work, but I really don't have to, just the satisfaction of knowing I did it. And, trying to understand it is sort of like a foreign language at times. I thought it would be simple, like ones I have done before. So there is not way to open command prompt and format C that way, then run setup and start the D drive? That seemed clear and simple years ago.

34. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Can you open the disk in "My Computer"? If you right-click on the CD drive you can open the disk rather than auto-playing it.

You should then have a folder of driver installers somewhere, and you can install those in order. You can't install drivers from outside Windows, despite what Dell would have you believe.

35. Mistiquee

Mistiquee Private E-2

Thinking I do have Windows installed. Just need drivers. Right clicked on the C Drive and see it has capacity 71.gb and 2.15 gb used and 68.7 free. So don't think the extra drive is still there.
    Right click when the driver disc is in it says "please insert a disc". Properties says all 0.The drive was working, it installed the windows one. I put a cleaning one in, it showed the files on it, but wouldn't play because WMP can't find drivers (audio)
    I'm going to try the driver one on my other compuer. Can I copy any files onto another DVD if they show up? I have a memory card and reader I use for moving files but don't think the USB will work on the one I'm working on.
    I think we're makng progres (it's probably some little thing I'm not doing right or missing) I tried the driver disc on my other computer and it started to sit it up. I didn't have to boot from it (even though it says on the disc it won't run on it's own) I cancelled it. Can see the files on it. Decided to copy it (don't tell ) to Dell LOL) see if another disc would work better,but also tried my memory card and reader and the USB set it up. I can save the driver files on this to use, I assume?
    Think I will also set the one I'm working on back the "normal" boot order since it's not booting from the disc anyway, probably because it's not meant for that. Something to do with AutoiPlay?

36. Mistiquee

Mistiquee Private E-2

the DVD I copied (from the Dell driver one) works, when it starts to run, takes awhile than says 1607 unable to install Install shield (wizard) scripting Runtime. I have all the files on the USB memory card but don't know what to do with them. A lot of them are in a folder zip files. I could try add new hardware and when it gets to looking for a driver aim it at that? But looks like it's someting that needs to be installed (itself)

37. Mistiquee

Mistiquee Private E-2

maybe there's a file or something I can find in my other Windows XP I can copy/paste in?

38. Mistiquee

Mistiquee Private E-2

39. Mistiquee

Mistiquee Private E-2

getting noplace fast, I'm going to see what I can install from the files on the memory card (I copied from the DVD) Now I notice I have 2 floppy disk drives listed A and B LOL I'm tempted to stay up all night and keep trying things, but tomorrow is another day. Thinking maybe trying the format and reinstalling Windows again might be a start. Seems like it should be easier, like the Toshiba Windows 7 I installed (though that was on a new hd) just 1 disc... openned up said put in next, etc. All put in. Maybe Dell wants people to buy a new computer.

40. AtlBo

Mistiquee...

first thing you need to do is place the zip folder somewhere convenient on your PC with the new installation. Next you need to unzip the folder. Once you have done that, identify which driver is which from your list from Dell. Change the name of the driver installer by adding a 1 in front of the first one to install, a 2 after the second one, and so on. Then just click on them one at a time in the order lowest to highest.

Might be a good idea to keep the driver installers someplace on the machine like in a folder in My Documents. You could call it "Driver Installers" etc.

41. mdonah

My best guess is that as Mistiquee has used the Windows executable version of this tool when the format started inside Windows it deleted something crucial to the operation of Windows.

I agree completely.

My fix would be to download http://gparted.sourceforge.net/ which is a free formatting tool that will format & repartition the hard drive quickly and with no confusion as it is a Linux based tool.

The MiniTool Partition Wizard .iso is Linux as well. Only about 40 MB in size. I recommended it because it's pretty straight forward and has only the single formatting/partitioning utility. Gparted and Parted Magic have other items bundled with them on the live CDs. I have both.

42. Mistiquee

Mistiquee Private E-2

Another day....I decided, since I already had Windows in, not to fool around with the partitions, etc anymore. On to drivers. I have all the files from the Dell Drivers/utility disc saved on my memory card. There's a whole file of drivers, didn't know what was what. Went on the driver download page (Dell) put in my service code number it brought up ones that to with mine. Going by the list of ones I'm supposed to put in, in the correct order, I couldn't find some of them on the list. I assume I no longer need the modem ones for dialup. Also, wireless netword card, I have an ethernet card, plugged in to the router. I downloaded the ones I could find, which are also in the file copied from the driver disc (now I know what they are for). I'm hoping I can get it online and find a place to scan to see what drivers I need (if there is a legit place like that, maybe on the Dell site) I don't know if this is just me or Dell (older) but this has been very confusing,. I have put in Windows before, even (as I said) 98, doing it from dos. Just seems like if I had started out doing this without reading the directions from Dell it might have been easier LOL Going to finish putting in the drivers I have and see if I can set up online. I thought, once the drivers were in, it would just sit it up automatically. Oh, I tried the add new hardware wizard, and pointed it to the disc with the drivers on it, but maybe it didn't find them because they are self extracting zip files. I hope I am learning a lot from this, but also hope I never have to do it again LOL

43. Mistiquee

Mistiquee Private E-2

In device manager, the only problems (showing) is something called "other device" and under it ethernet controller, mulimedia audio controller and PCI modem. Not on the list of drivers on the Dell page. Maybe I need to find the name of the ethernet card (using Belarc Advisor?) and look online.

44. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Chances are you need the chipset drivers. Those items with a yellow ? are not add on cards, they are things on the motherboard.

45. AtlBo

Mystiquee...

What is the model of the Dell you have? You primarily need the network card (ethernet controller) driver at this point, so you can access the internet on the machine. Could you pass the link to the drivers you have on to us here? I will take a look and see if I can determine which one is the correct one.

May need to know the brand of the Network card if there is more than one type of Network driver listed on the Dell site (sometimes there were options for different network cards for a particular model when it was new). To find the brand of the network card, you can click on Start->Programs->Accessories->System Tools->System Information. Once it opens, click on Components, then Network, and then Adapter. That will tell you the model of your Network card. If you could post that with the link to the drivers, I think you can be up and running shortly.

I think any of the audio drivers would likely work fine. Probably it would be best to simply get the most recent for that.

As for the driver disk. Yes, because they were in a zipped form, I believe that's why they aren't being recognized using Windows devices, etc.

46. mdonah

That's correct. The self extractors are from Xceed software (now defunct). You would have to extract them to a different location of your choosing instead of the default C:\Dell\Drivers\Rxxxxx. Then you could use device manager to install the drivers. It's what I do when I have to re-install WXP (and I've had to do that frequently for one reason or another).

47. Mistiquee

Mistiquee Private E-2

I googled the drivers I needed for the internet, put them in and now it connects. Actually is working really good- fast (considering it's 8 years old) Seems like I saw something on the Dell site that could scan and find drivers still needed, I couldn't do without internet. I don't want them to put a bunch of junk in, and just noticing reinstalling (and not using the extras discs that came with it) I didn't get all the usual stuff I usually take out. There were around 60 self extracting zip files on the disc (I got the files off but never got to run directly) Maybe I was supposed to go over them and put them all in? But, seems like I got it working, and now going online, though not really sure how LOL And if I ever have to do this again,at some point, with another computer, I have a better idea (and programs to format and partition) I get confused and frustrated by things like this, but also get into "I want it to work to get it to work". I haven't been paying much attention to anything else for the past few days. Maybe that makes me a Geek? LOL At least a Minor one...
    The dvd drives on it don't work too good but I have replaces them before (in other computers) and maybe I can find newer drivers. At least it has Windows and goes online, that's a start. I ran one of the disc format/partitioners earlier, and it shows little parts that are used (small amounts) and they don't show up as drives. They are probably okay.

48. AtlBo

Congratulations!

I think you can say you are a geek Mistiquee. You passed the test with this installation...

Now that you have the Dell running, I do think you might do well to burn a copy of Hiren's BootCD. It's a nice tool to have if anything goes wrong and if you don't want to have to reinstall.

Lots of great help here, so next time you run into a question or problem, just come by Major Geeks again. One of the geniuses here will help you...

:)

49. Mistiquee

Mistiquee Private E-2

thank you everyone.I have gone on some help forums where they (maybe without realizing it) act like people who don't know, or need specific steps are dumb. I just remember when I first learned to make webpages, to upload files, etc. It took days (and would have taken weeks except I pretty much didn't do anything else LOL) I kept doing it wrong, and going in circles and asking people, but the answers (I later learned) were simple and I was asking questions that made it seem complicated. LIke "where is page 2 on the website?" After this, I'd sometimes help someone else figure it out and remember this, how confusing it when you don't know. And I'm always finding out things to do, I didn't even know there was LOL. I'm still working on drivers, there's no audio, but just came across the name of the driver for this. I have the file of drivers, numbers that start with R... just don't know what each one does (by the number). I probably could google this, maybe there's a chart.
    I've come to Major Geeks for years, to download things. Good to know you are all friendly LOL

50. mdonah

AtlBo,

Hiren's Boot CD is considered warez by this forum and many others. A better, legit alternative would be Ultimate Boot CD.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds