Found a 20gig file.

Discussion in 'Software' started by carmello2003, Feb 6, 2011.

1. carmello2003

carmello2003 Private First Class

Fixing a computer for a friend. He had a virus which I got rid of. It was running a little slow so I tried to defrag it. I have never seen so much RED in my life. So I was going to Defrag it and I realized he only has 1% free space. I looked t see what he had. Only a 40 gig HD so I went thru it to see if it was loaded with music or video. Maybe it was something I could delete or transfer to Flashdrive and Defrag and then put them back in.
    I saw some music not a lot, no video so I did a search for all files and I found a 20GIG File under C:\ it was named 3590f75aba9e485486c100c1a9d4ff06ndcpzxyenrqcgups also under "TYPE" it is listed as "FILE"
    Created and Modified on todays date at 12 noon (10 hours ago)
    I assume I can delete it but not sure.

The virus he had was "Security Alert" Kept poping up warnngs.
    I got rid of it using Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, I also ran Rootkitbuster on it for the heck of it.

I have restarted the computer 10 times and there is no sign of the virus. He needs the computer back asap so I am giving it back to him tomorrow 2/7/10 and I will go from there.

ANY IDEAS?
    Thank You For Your Time
    Carmello

2. carmello2003

carmello2003 Private First Class

OOOPS Running windows XP
    sorry

3. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I can't think of any legitimate program that would create a 20gb file. I'd rename it by putting the word test at the beginning or end of the original name and reboot. If everything works ok then delete it.

**You may want to call your friend just to make sure that the drive was half empty and not full or music or video. But I have never seen any sort of recovered files with such a long name.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds