Found New Hardware Wizard at startup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CKAJCA, Mar 17, 2012.

1. CKAJCA

CKAJCA Private E-2

I have an Acer Travelmate 5520 laptop running Windows XP SP3 and everytime it boots up I get the Welcome to the Found New Harware Wizard window appear and it says it needs to install a Mass Storage Controller. I have nothing plugged into any USB ports apart from a USB wireless mouse transmitter/receiver. The problem started happening sometime ago. Even if I tell the Wizard to get the appropriate software it is unable to find any. I end up clicking Cancel to get rid of the message. The laptop continues to complete the startup normally. I have tried everything I know (which probably isnt much). Can anyone give me an idiots guide to fixing this issue? Any help would be much appreciated as this problem seems to considerable slow up the startup process.

PS I have just gone through the Malware Removal procedure and it has not fixed my problem.

Colin

2. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

Hi my friend , welcome to MG's :major , follow this

Start - Run type this mmc devmgmt.msc - Ok

are you looking at any yellow mark in there ? :cool

3. CKAJCA

CKAJCA Private E-2

First of all thanks for you very quick reply, much appreciated

Just before you replied I did exactly that and found a yellow question mark against Other devices and within there was a yellow question mark against, Ethernet Controller, Modem Device on High Definition Audio Bus and Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

4. CKAJCA

CKAJCA Private E-2

I hate having this problem, the Laptop takes sooooooo loooooooong to startup :cry

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

6. CKAJCA

CKAJCA Private E-2

The startup problem with the Laptop has been there for many many months prior to any e-mail viruses manifesting themselves. I am almost 100% certain that it is not connected to the startup problem. The Laptop is functioning perfectly once it gets past the Hardware Wizard stage

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Then why did you post this?
    because you did not go through the malware removal process.

8. CKAJCA

CKAJCA Private E-2

My wife and I have 3 computers ( 1 desktop, 1 netbook and the Acer with the startup problem). The virus was on the desktop and as was advised in the Sticky I am waiting to see if the virus shows itself again before posting any logs and wasting peoples time on here. I do not think there are any viruses on the Laptop or the Notebook

9. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, CKAJCA...

To be 100% sure, you really should run through the Malware Forum's procedures, let them look at your logs and decide if you're clean - don't worry, they probably aren't that busy...;)

That sure looks like you need a chipset driver reinstall, as well as other devices. The Acer support page for your model, however, does not seem to list a chipset driver. You might try installing every thing you can find, especially the VGA package: some OEMs bundle the video and motherboard drivers together...

10. CKAJCA

CKAJCA Private E-2

Thank you for your very helpful reply, especially the link to the Drivers. Much appreciated :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds