Frames received with CRC error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by subgeeky, Jul 30, 2008.

1. subgeeky

subgeeky Private E-2

I have a Mercury USB wireless adapter and it’s been working fine for over a year. Now I’m having problems with it, I can’t access the Internet. The statistics are horrible, nearly all the frames are received with CRC errors, yet transmissions are fine. I have normal signal, over 80% link quality, and <20% noise.

What is going on?

I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled TCP/IP protocol. I get the same thing plugging it into 2 desktops, one is Windows 2000 and the other XP Home.

Since the problem seem to be receiving, I doubt uninstall and reinstall the software will work, have reinstalled driver, rt73 many times to no avail.

2. wakaru

wakaru Private E-2

Hi! I have an edimax, with rt73 too, and i have the same problem.
    I think that should be a problem with the device. It only happens when i do an intense use of the net, like watching a movie or downloading something. it starts well, but after some time, it starts to receive wrong packets.
    If i shutdown the device and restart after a while, it works well (not perfectly, but i can navigate again).
    did you find a solution?
    I'll simply ask for another card and i'll tell you.

3. PEBKAC

PEBKAC Private First Class

Grasping at straws here but... Are there any other wireless networks nearby running on the same channel? Have you tried changing channels?

4. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

try a different router and/or wireless adapter if changing wireless channel doesnt help.

5. wakaru

wakaru Private E-2

Sorry geeks, but i think that the problem is due to a bad hacker, trying to connect to the network. the wrong crc is because he was replicating my packets... At least i think that.
    I changed the channel and everything was ok until he realised and changed his aireplay (for example). so i changed my mac and started another machine with airodump, and i saw that my old mac (he) was still sending packets, while my new one (me) was connected.

The problem only happend when intense traffic on the net because the attacker can't receive well all of my packets. he has been attacking for days, so i changed the wep key, and restored again after 10 minutes, so he will not get my key.

Problem solved. without reinstall, without buying another router. Men (dont offense) you should read more. Thanks for your help.

6. wakaru

wakaru Private E-2

Reading this post after months, i realized that i was a pedantic jerk...

Now i have similar problems with the same card, but different reason.

I don`t know whats happening, but with a 100% signal, i get 90% packets with crc error, and a lot of noise.
    like 100% signal, 70% noise.

I dont know what can it be. Other adapters connect to the ap perfectly, but my two edimax usb cards are unable to connect.
    I only need some ideas of what to expect. i think that maybe both cards are broken. I tried in different machines, different OS. Nothing worked.
    The cuestion is that the cards seem to work fine. I can even monitorice traffic without problems.... but not connect normally

7. opt.

opt. Private E-2

had the same problem, 90% crc's; antenna wasn't screwed on properly!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds