free anti virus software

Discussion in 'Software' started by craig.mason, Dec 16, 2004.

1. craig.mason

craig.mason Private E-2

i am after some free anti virus software i have avg at the moment but i want to change it as i am having problems with it any ideas ??????????

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

4. skipper

skipper Private E-2

ad-aware works for me..is there something better?

5. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

Ad-aware is not an anti-virus application. Yes it does find some things that are related to viral infections but it is not specifically designed for such a task.

6. Ladycarr

Ladycarr Private E-2

Hi! I was wondering, what kind of problems you had with the AVG70 software. I down loaded it today and I like it... but, my Norton Anti Viris went completely nuts. I was trying to fix my e-mail, Out Look Express, and it got into somekind of loop where it just kept opening a new window to check the outgoing message. I uninstalled the Norton Anti. Hopefully I will like this new anti viris better. Did you have something like this happen to you? Thank you.

7. Farbib

Farbib Corporal

Simultaneous antivirus programs is not recommended. Sounds like this was a conflict between the two? AVG can certainly replace Norton. Many computer pros like AVG and consider it every bit as good as Norton (if not better). Many people on this site (some computer pros themselves) also prefer Avast to AVG, if you want to try Avast. AVG7 is good.

8. Ladycarr

Ladycarr Private E-2

Thank you! God Bless.
    Jeanie

9. coathanger007

coathanger007 Private E-2

10. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

Ditto on Avast, and I'm a reformed Norton user! :)

11. SgtRon

SgtRon Private First Class

Same here. Had Norton and thought it was doing a good job. Decided to try AVAST! Did a thorough search with Norton before installing Avast, and it found nothing. Installed Avast and did another thorough search. It came up with 13 gremlins of varying seriousness, which had gone undetected by Norton. Needless to say, I don't plan on reinstalling Norton. And Avast will auto-update definitions once a day.

12. weavalo

weavalo Private E-2

Another vote for Avast. I've used Norton (the worst; slow and hogs resources), McAfee, AVG, and now Avast!. Avast! found a problem that AVG missed on my computer, plus it's user friendly and the Virus Recovery Database is a nice feature. If I were paying, it would be Trend Micro's PC'cillin, but free is always a great price.

13. dumbluck

dumbluck Private E-2

I find it ironic that the most downloaded free AV, AntiVir, hasn't been downloaded yet. Is there something wrong with it? (I hope not, since I'm running it... :eek: )

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds