Free Commercial Software.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Eldon, Feb 9, 2016.

?

Do you download programs from this website?

1. Yes.

53.8%
  2. No.

7.7%
  3. I'll consider it.

38.5%
  1. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

A while back I found this website.
    http://www.giveaway-club.com/
    The site is clean according to VirusTotal.
    https://www.virustotal.com/en/url/c...05de5ef9a34c3215e6f6ebda/analysis/1455052935/

Licensed software are given away free of charge - legally.
    These programs cannot be installed or re-installed after a certain date.

Two of the gems I found are Glary Utilities 4 Professional & DriverEasy 4 Professional.
    Scroll down and have a look at the recent and upcoming giveaways.

Any comments?

PS An Administrator suggested I post this in The Lounge. I might move it to Software.

2. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Thanks for the upfront check.

3. Data Banks

Data Banks Corporal

Wouldn't mind getting my hands on a free Photoshop cd and Microsoft Office.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Not tried this yet, did know about it. One thing I remember reading was that you also need to be careful if you have a free software, while its the full app, IF in some cases it updates it "may" revert to trial or want you to pay, so I would be careful of updating any of the apps.

Eldon likes this.
  5. Eldon

That's not going to happen.
    The owners/shareholders of Microsoft and Adobe believe "The love of Money is the root of all Happiness."

6. Eldon

Yes.
    And this is important. You don't get free updates.
    Turn off the 'Check for updates' after installing the software.

7. EJB

EJB Corporal

8. Eldon

No.
    The site you linked to has a propitiatory installer that downloads cr@p prior to downloading the software. Much like CNET.

9. EJB

EJB Corporal

Thanks....point taken.

10. Eldon

11. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

They started using an encrypted installer wrapper (Themida - after someone :) wrote an article about 'hacking' their protection), the installer is harmless, and all you have to do is uncheck the "add a shortcut to my desktop" after the install. When you run the setup, it checks the Giveaway server for the 'key' to decrypt - so it can validate the giveaway is active.

"The updated 2012 wrapper was based on Themida technology which is similar to what’s used in rootkits. It was done largely to stop users easily grabbing the installer and registration information without installing the software, something which GiveawayOfTheDay don’t like you doing because you’re only supposed to install and activate the program on the day the software is offered."

12. Skullduggery's Dupe

Skullduggery's Dupe Master Sergeant

Go here to download GIMP (General Image Manipulation Program), a free Photoshop knockoff.

13. Eldon

The website, which is the subject of my thread, doesn't do that. And the software doesn't install after the offered date.
    Plain and simple.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds