free drive cloning??

Discussion in 'Software' started by renegadeone8, Sep 4, 2006.

1. renegadeone8

renegadeone8 Private E-2

I just ordered a 160GB SATA drive to replace an aging (and lame) 40GB IDE drive. I found a tool that can clone the drive, but it will make the new partition the same size as the old one. (about 37 gigs)...does anyone know of a FREE tool to change the partition size to use the entire 160?? or does anyone know of another drive cloning program that will do it for me?? I know that norton ghost will do it, but i dont want to spend any money. I figured something like this would be easy to find, but maybe not, because i have been searching for days. On a side not my copy of XP has been registered too many times, so a windows reinstall isnt an option. (it is what i would like to do, but i dont have a way to install windows without purchasing another copy)

2. Bladesofhalo

Bladesofhalo MajorGeek

3. renegadeone8

renegadeone8 Private E-2

tried that...unfortuantely it only allows backup...the disk imaging is disabled

4. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

5. renegadeone8

renegadeone8 Private E-2

i have this utility and it works well, but the new partition is only 40GB meaning that i have nearly 120 free....but they show up as a different drive. I wish the whole 160 to be available as a single drive, but i dont know how to resize the partition. it cant be done with windows, and the only software i know of is expensive, and my budget is about $0.00...i may just have to break down and pay, but i'm on a real short cash flow, and it may be a few months before i can go buy the software i need, so i'm searching all other options

6. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> On a side not my copy of XP has been registered too many times, so windows reinstall isn’t an option. (it is what I would like to do, but I don’t have a way to install windows without purchasing another copy) renegadeone8 <<

You should really consider contacting Microsoft directly about this issue; that is if you actually 'own' the copy of XP on the PC or laptop. Of course, this does not apply if you tried reinstalling the XP on several different computers. However, I actually know of several people who had this "XP has been registered too many times" and they were able to get a "new" license by simply contacting them and explaining the situation.

For instance; I know this is at least "possible" to get a license renewal from Microsoft; even when you think you might not be entitled to it or think MS won't grant one. I teach an internet class for beginners - disabled students at a local university - one afternoon a week. One the students in my class had a "somewhat" similar problem and contacted Microsoft directly via emailing their support, explaining the situation. In her case, there was a total hard drive failure; and she no longer had the product activation key number.

Microsoft wrote back and asked her to send proof that she 'actually owned' the XP on the hard drive. She sent them a copy of the store receipt which had the price that she originally paid, her full name, and Microsoft XP Professional printed out on it.

Within about two weeks Microsoft sent her a new license as well as a new and valid product activation key! They also sent her instructions as to how to install (and then activate) the XP pro on her new hard drive. I'm no 'fan' of WPA, but in my student's case at least - she was able to install the XP on her new hard drive with a new license.

This link will point you in that direction: contacting Microsoft; (Phone #s, Support Options, Online Help).

Good Luck!

7. renegadeone8

renegadeone8 Private E-2

thank you for that information. I do actually own the copy of XP, and i have the receipt so hopefully they will help me out. If not, i may just deal with the two seperate partitions, and begin saving for vista.

8. hawklord

hawklord Master Sergeant

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds