free File encryption software?

Discussion in 'Software' started by SweatyBanana, Jan 13, 2007.

1. SweatyBanana

SweatyBanana Private E-2

Does anybody know of any good file encryption software that I can use on a flash drive?

2. Natakel

Natakel Guest

3. SweatyBanana

SweatyBanana Private E-2

I used this on my new External (Maybe Hard drive.. But it says USB mass storage).. Its 4 GB and before I had it encrypted with this software, it showed up in my list, but now it doesn't..

4. SweatyBanana

SweatyBanana Private E-2

OK so I figured out how to get it to show up again.. Had to re-mount it with the same program, but how will I get it to automatically mount without this program?

5. Natakel

Natakel Guest

That I don't know . . . though I seem to recall something about that in the programs help files when dealing with an encrypted file on a DVD. But I am just guessing here . . . I never tried to use a thumb drive or other media on a machine that didn't have the parent program installed - and it has been a while since I have actively used the program at all. I am not currently in front of my own PC.

I used it for safely storing financial documents and such . . . I never tried to use the encryption in a mobile form. The closest I came was to put an un-encrypted copy of the parent program install.exe on the media along with the encrypted file for storage in my archives . . . as protection for some far off day when I no longer used or had the program, but still needed to access the old files.

It's such a neat little program - I'd be surprised if there isn't some way of doing it without installing the software . . .

6. SweatyBanana

SweatyBanana Private E-2

Yea well it keeps doing it whenever I go betweek different computers.. How am I suposed to use this at school?

7. Wavetar

Wavetar Sergeant

You'll have to install the program on whatever computer you want to use the encrypted drive on. That's the whole point of using encryption. You'll find the same thing with other programs such as Folder Lock, Winlock, etc.

8. SweatyBanana

SweatyBanana Private E-2

How do I decrypt it?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds