1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Free IDE recommendations?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Marty8E, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Marty8E

Marty8E Private E-2

I'm after a free IDE to get back into programming with. Languages:

VB - done a LOT with this before, but no Company to buy it for me yet!

Delphi - wrote some test software with this in the past - controlling ovens, humidity controllers...

C - not much experience with this, just helping check through other peoples' code.

Pascal - done a LOT with this before, but don't know how popular it is these days!

2. PC-XT

PC-XT Master Sergeant

Welcome to the Programming forum! :)

I'm more experienced with VB and C. For them, I'll give some links:
    Visual Studio Express works with both, or you can download for just one language.

On the forums, you'll see me recommending different IDEs, depending on the time I posted. I've settled on plain Notepad and Notepad++ for most languages. For C++, I also am still using Quincy and Dev-C++. I've also heard good and bad reports of Code::Blocks, but haven't tried it, myself.

Other threads in these forums you might want to look at are:
    The programming language sticky gives some advice on IDEs.
    Otherwise, looking for those 4 languages, I just found these old threads for C++: 2008, 2010, 2011

I don't use Pascal and Delphi, so I don't have recommendations for them. A web search gave me this page: http://bytes.com/topic/python/answers/43497-python-ide-like-netbeans-delphi-ide
    I've heard about Eclipse, but haven't tried it.
  3. Marty8E

Marty8E Private E-2

Thanks for those.

Downloading now....

Will try over the weekend.