free pen drive but write protected

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SCy2j, Apr 14, 2009.

1. SCy2j

SCy2j Private E-2

Hi all, I have a 2Gb pen drive which was given out at a corporate function but when i pulled it in, it showed 2 drives, 1Gb each. One was full of information of a company while the other empty. The full portion is somehow write protected, everything i tried has resulted in a "disk/file/folder is write-protected" warning- I can't delete, format, cut or paste anything on it.

I want to use the whole 2Gb. Any ideas on dealing with this?

Forgot to add, it's a generic pen drive and doesn't have a slider or hold tab.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

3. SCy2j

SCy2j Private E-2

Nope, didn't work. Guess I'll just have to make do with the 1Gb, thanks for your help.

4. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi Scy2j,

Have you tried re-partitioning the drive. Read up on the subject for your OS. You should be able to repartition, format the Pen drive and use the entire 2 gigs. There are ways of preventing that and the folks that setup that drive may have used 'tricks' to do it. Worth a try?

Jim

5. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

It's been a long time but i remember using Killdisk as a solution to the same problem. From the list select the Letter for the flash drive and go.
    Then when it.s been erased format it to whatever you want, FAT/FAT32 or whatever.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Active_KillDisk_d4791.html

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds