Free Register Repair from CNet... question...

Discussion in 'Software' started by ladyharley99, Oct 6, 2010.

1. ladyharley99

ladyharley99 Private First Class

My hubby the other day suggested that I download the "Free Window Registry Repair" from CNet.

I've read through some of the other similar questions & really didn't see any answer to my question.

Which is: Does anyone trust stuff from CNet? & Is it worth it the bother or should I stick with just CCleaner???

I've not been able to run CCleaner on my computer.... but that was a while ago. Has there been any updates to it. AND does it diagnose registry problems & repair them, as this program from CNet says it supposedly does?

I ask this not only for my computer, but also be working on my son's computer in a few days & I know he has a ton of registry problems, because he told me he deleted stuff that he wasn't supposed to (at least he didn't he know at the time.)

Anyway, I thought I'd give this Cnet one a try, on my computer, before I tackled my son's computer... HOWEVER, I wanted some feedback from the MG's if it's even worth it! Please & Thank you :)

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

CCleaner ver. 2.36.1233 should be all you need - I would think the general consensus here would be to stay away from other 'registry cleaner' programs.

3. NightFirer

NightFirer Private First Class

I would have to agree with Caliban.

"registry cleaners" can lead to a serious messes, as a general rule I would stay away from them.

As for C-net, I use that site and had both good and bad results with their downloads.

4. silas

silas MajorGeek

Id stick with the Ccleaner as well. People using programs to what they want fix or think they are doing with the program can only cause problems/more problems.

5. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

Stick with CCleaner, just click on the link Caliban has given and download it from there/ or update ! :)

6. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

What was the problem? Any error messages? Is this still the situation?

7. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

ladyharley99, "Free Register Repair is available at www.majorgeeks.com :cool

See the latest version of Window Registry Repair 2.0, at http://majorgeeks.com/Free_Window_Registry_Repair_d5461.html

My note: Nearly 60,000 downloads, so far to date, from MG alone.

Hope this puts some of your fears at rest.

Bazza

PS: Latest version of CCleaner is:
    CCleaner Slim 2.36.1233, Date: 2010-09-27
    at http://majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_Slim_d4191.html

Also available:

CCleaner (With Yahoo toolbar)
    CCleaner portable (Take it on a USB stick with you)

Baz

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds