Free Safe PC Optimizer and Accelerator

Discussion in 'Software' started by TheNoobie101, Jul 31, 2013.

1. TheNoobie101

TheNoobie101 Private E-2

I recently had to remover my system mech pro from my work computer, causing it to slow down quite a bit and was wondering what a good free safe PC Optimizer and Accelerator would help solve my slowing problem. They added this Office scan virus protection and it sucks but I cant uninstall it without the password so i'm looking for alternatives.

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

By "they", I'm presuming you mean IT at your job site. Even if you downloaded a program to your home PC and took it to work on whatever media, you wouldn't be able to install it without Administrative priveleges anyway. Speaking of, how were you able to install System Mechanic Pro? or had IT installed it? and if so, how were you able to remove it?

3. TheNoobie101

TheNoobie101 Private E-2

Our IT people are not so smart I was able to download and install Mech pro no problem, as well i was able to remove with no problems. The morning I came in the IT people had already installed Officescan along side of Mech pro they never even noticed it was installed and it caused a few problem running the two programs side by side so....I'd just like to get a Free program that can speed up and optimize my computer, System Mech pro did this for me flawlessly

4. captcha

captcha Private E-2

No program can magically speed up your computer. They are all scams or if free, useless. Stay away from anything that says cleaner, optimizer, tune-up, mechanic, etc.
    You may think it speeds up the computer but you are experiencing the placebo effect.

5. TheNoobie101

TheNoobie101 Private E-2

ok, thank you captcha. Ill try to speed my computer up manually any suggestions? Sorry Im new to this game, but what to learn more. Is TOR and LOIC safe or are they crap as well?

6. mdonah

Just so you know, Officescan would have been done by a distributed installation so IT wouldn't have noticed something on an individual workstation.

7. Dumb_Question

Dumb_Question Sergeant Major

-> mdonah
    Won't the often recommended CCleaner clean up your PC, default settings ? I'm not sure that it would definitely make TheNoobie101's PC any faster, but it's supposed to be safe....I've never been brave enough to do that exact procedure though, as I'm not confident enough to let anything explicitly tamper with the registry.

Dumb_Question
    1.August.2013
    Compaq Presario S5160UK DT261A under XP/SP3
    Processor - Celeron 2.7 GHz
    Motherboard - MSI MS-6577 v2.1
    RAM - 1GB + 512MB (1GB +1GB max) DDR PC2700
    PSU - Octigen 300W model 10270PSOTG ('upgraded' from original Bestec 250W PSU [in 2011?])
    Nvidia GeForce 6200 graphics card in AGP slot.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  8. captcha

captcha Private E-2

You can uninstall any unnecessary programs. Limit what starts up by using Startup Control Panel. You can use Autoruns too but it's for more experienced users. Just Google it if you want.
    If your hard drive is really old and small, a defrag with the built in defragmenter might help.

Regarding TOR, if it's the anonymity tool, then yes it's good. As for LOIC, all I could find is a denial-of-service attack tool. Why would you want that?

9. mdonah

Yes, I use CCleaner myself to get rid of junk (the last time I used it, it cleaned 228 MB of junk files off of my computer) and I use it to clean the registry too AFTER backing it up in case problems arise afterward (but they haven't in all the times I've used CCleaner).

TheNoob101 was complaining about a slowdown AFTER his IT department installed Officescan. Running CCleaner Portable may help some. I don't know if he'd be able to use the installer version.

10. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

I would be very careful of your companies rule and regulations on PC usage, as if you cannot uninstall Office Scan then its likely administrative rights are needed, thus aiming in the direction that you should not be installing and uninstalling software as you please without IT Dept. approval.

In many companies these days breaking company rules will lead to dismissal, seen it many a time where I work.

11. TheNoobie101

TheNoobie101 Private E-2

Im not to worried about our IT team, they don't have a clue. I had the computer running awesome until they started messing around. Now my computer takes 5 min to logging in the morning, when I had my stuff going it worked flawlessly.

12. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

If your not worried then install any app you like but no one PC optimiser is that good you need to have a core small set of apps and CCleaner is a good one to remove junk temp folders and files, to then clean the registry HIVES to a safeish point (some others are too invasive to the SECURITY HIVE) and then slim down the startups to core really needed startups.

But I think your main issue is Office scan and IIRC that's Trends Office Scan, personally I don't like it and we trialled it in work and it buggered up Office files due to a bug in one of their Virus Def files, we have moved to Symantec Enterprise which is not so bad (don't personally like the consumer versions) and I would have preferred Forefront but Symantec is better than McAfee Enterprise IMHO.

Crux comes down to your level of access to install and uninstall applications.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds