free screenshot program?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Vlad the Impaler, Nov 27, 2003.

1. Vlad the Impaler

Vlad the Impaler F.K.A. Immaculate

anybody know a good program that will let me take screenshots when I am in a game?

2. Ezaxs99

Ezaxs99 Ether Person

Maybe Ashampoo Snap-Ya?
    It allows you to divide and capture your preferred shot of the
    screen.....Ashampoo.com

:( P.S. : Don't know if they offer this free/plugin only with the
    purchase of one of their other Progs....but they have a page on their site where you can decide how much you would like to pay for them...yes...how much YOU would like to pay for them...
    You might check it out anyway...

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

XNView
    http://www.xnview.com/xnview/enhome.html

is good for screenshots ( in tools > capture menu you need to tick multiple capture ) plus some games within their instructions allow screen dumps of scenes, check the options.

oh and its FREE ;)

4. Wisewiz

Wisewiz Apprentice's Sorcerer

Take a look at the description of ScreenPrint32 here:

http://www.provtech.co.uk/software/screenprint32.asp

I use it all the time. When you pre-set it to do what you want it to do, all you have to do is tap the hotkey every time you want it to shoot a screen or part of one.

5. help

help Corporal

u dont need one man

goto your keyboard find "print screen sysrq"
    press it + ctrl-v to ms paint.

6. Wisewiz

Wisewiz Apprentice's Sorcerer

Problem with that approach, help, is that it's a kludgy way to get a set of shots as gifs or jpgs or pngs. You've gotta open Paint for each one and paste it into Paint before you can shoot the next one, cuz they use the clipboard, and THEN, after you Save each one in Paint, you've gotta convert all of those Paint bmps to other formats with another program. And you don't get a choice of what area of the screen is captured on the clipboard, or the option of a ten-second delay between the pressing of the button and the shot (so you can set things up)..

A "capture" program not only lets you draw a selected area of the screen and shoot just that, or shoot just the active (non-full-screen) window, or the full screen, but it can be pre-set to save all of the shots in a specified image format in a specified folder, with a specified series of names (e.g., Help 1.gif, Help 2.gif, ...), and you can set a time-delay for any shot.

So, you see, although there's the native Windows capability for screen captures, "capture" programs do it all, do it better, and do it more efficiently.

7. Vlad the Impaler

Vlad the Impaler F.K.A. Immaculate

thanks all.. i found a good free program to use.

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Well its only polite Vlad to let me and Wisewiz in on the secret program you found? maybe its one we havnt seen yet or used ;)

9. GeoFan

GeoFan Private First Class

I downloaded ScreenPrint from download.com.

After 30 day eval, some features are disabled,
    but it still does a fine job for me!

http://www.softwarelabs.com

You can draw a box around whatever you want to capture.

You can save as .bmp, .jpg, .gif, or others...

10. fiver22

fiver22 Sergeant

This seems to do all that for free (and no time limit), GeoFan: http://www.download.com/ScreenHunter/3000-2192_4-10215821.html?tag=lst-0-1
    I've been using this for awhile and find it very useful(l).
    Yours,

11. fiver22

fiver22 Sergeant

Not able to edit my reply:
    I just wanted to clarify that I did search for this proggie here on MG's -I didn't see it so I hope that it's ok that I posted the outside link.
    Thanks,

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds