free server software...

Discussion in 'Software' started by rogvalcox, Feb 3, 2007.

1. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

I'm getting ready to delve into setting up a spare pc to be a file and mail server,so....what would you recommend that is for free, and can it be downloaded from here, and if not, then what would be a reputable site to get it from?

BTW... I will be using Win 2000 Pro on the server system, and I have Vista Ultimate on the other two systems that will be accessing this server.

Roger

Last edited: Feb 3, 2007
  2. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Just a quick bump!! I promise I won't do it again!! I just noticed there wasn't too many people around yesterday, so I figured I would give it one more chance to see if the appropriate lurkers notice it today.

Roger

3. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Honstatly i suggest you check out a simple linux solution any normal distro will handle the mail/file server part pretty easy. That being said, for file server you can just use windows file sharing nothing special on that. Mail im less sure, if it was 2000 server or advanced server it would have components builtin, but not sure about mail server software for win2000.

4. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

What would be the recommended free linux version for my needs and I got to admit that i'm a sucker for a fancy GUI!!

Roger

5. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Im partial to suse, but lots of beginners start with ubuntu, both are good solid first timer choices.

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

If you want fancy with minimal effort, check out Sabayon.

7. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

I seen you talking about Sabayon in another thread, and I gotta say, it caught my attention!!

So...being that it has been a long day and I'm tired and lazy....can you direct me to your recommended download location!?!?

Thanks
    Roger

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds