Free Software I use on the pc

Discussion in 'Software' started by franinlv, Nov 22, 2009.

1. franinlv

franinlv Private E-2

Here's something I give to people when they ask and there are a few more to add besides.

NOTE: If you are not confident about doing updates to your pc, I do not recommend you try these. Have a friend or younger person (yes I said it!) who has been around the block a few times help you.;)

Be sure to uninstall software like Norton’s/McAfee if you are using the

Anti-Virus and Firewall
    Free Anti-Virus Program: AVG by Grisoft – Program auto-updates daily when connected to internet.

Free Firewall Protection: Zone Alarm / requires updates occasionally-prompts for reinstall of newer version

Free Clean-up Tool (Internet Junk from surfing/temp files created by Microsoft products that slow down the pc):

Clean-up Link: Stevengould.org
    CleanUp452.exe

Free Registry Cleanup/2ndary cleaner:
    CCleaner (updates available when used each time, as well)

Note: Use the 1st two items for this cleaner – when prompted to save the backup on the 2nd tool – go to front of the file it wants to save and put/add a number in front – like 1, 2, 3 – so you know what order it was backed up – Run until it comes up clean on each of the two tools.

Spyware Cleaners – Use both for maximum effectiveness – each catches Spyware the other one misses:
    Ad-aware / Spybot Links: Adaware (prompts for updates when launched) Spybot (Manual update required each time it is run – only runs manually)

Free Defragger –
    IOBIT.com has some great tools.
    - Advanced Windows Care

- Smart Defrag
    Recommendations: On 1st run – start it at bed-time (home users) and allow to run over night On 1st run – Start when leaving for lunch (work users) or going to a long meeting (+2 hours), or start at end of day – allow to run – Lock Computer and go home instead of turning off.

Startup Cleaner: (startup programs not necessary) – Again – do not use if you are not sure of what you are seeing. Link: mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

When Running this software – if you are not sure what you are doing – ask an expert technician
    Picture Management:
    Picassa (current version - from Google)

Free PDF maker
    pdf995.com/download.html

Free Picture program - that allows you to make backgrounds transparent.
    paint.net

Free Burning software:
    Easy CD-DA Extractor 12.0.4

If you cant afford to buy Microsoft Office and need a program that will allow you to save in Microsoft Office format:
    - Openoffice.org

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds