freecom classic sl

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by caskstrength, Feb 27, 2007.

1. caskstrength

caskstrength Private E-2

hi there!
    does anyone know of a way to open jpeg/doc/zip files that are stored on a freecom classic sl external hdd?when i try to open them i get the cant read file header message.also, there are .pms extensions after some of the .doc and .zip file names what opens .pms files?

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

If you are after any zip files, a good program is 7 zip, (freeware program downloadable from this site - go to downloads and type in 7 zip

3. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

.doc files are usually Microsoft word files
    Open office is another freeware download, again from majorgeeks, which will giv eyou a lot of help with many files.
    The 7 zip program opens the zip file for you to see/read.

4. caskstrength

caskstrength Private E-2

thanks for your reply.
    tried 7zip as suggested but get same "cant read file header" message.
    the files on the disk are named like this: (filename).zip.pms
    nothing seems to be able to open any of them:eek:pen office,irfanview,adobe,tugzip,7zip,word,image viewer.
    there were other files on the hdd which i have moved and opened successfully - problem is that the ones we want are the ones that we cant open!managed to get one doc file open but all that is viewable is strings of "code".
    next option is to open them with a large hammer and chisel!!!!!!
    thanks for your help anyway.

5. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

6. caskstrength

caskstrength Private E-2

thanks for your suggestions.have found out that the pms files are created by the secure and compress software for the drive.it is now asking for a password to open the files,which it was never given in the first place.i have just spoken to someone at freecom who tells me that if the files are secured by the software then there is no way to decrypt them other than with a password- which nobody has!!!
    he also told me that there is no "back door " into the disk as the programmers decided that it wasn't really a good idea to sell it as secure with a loophole in the security-makes sense really.
    i dont suppose anyone knows anything about getting into encrypted files to unsecure them and decompress them, do they?
    one other bit of advice worth noting for anyone using freecom hdd's is dont use the software supplied with the disk if you want to ensure that this doesn't happen to you-just copy and paste files to the folders you create on the disk and then if it crashes the files will be to some degree recoverable (obviously this does not apply to sensitive data which you want to be kept confidential no matter what!)anyone who knows about this decryption stuff out there-your help would be much appreciated.
    thank you.

7. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Well, I take it that that link gave you a lead .
    At least you know what it is now.
    There are password crackers around, but I never had to use any (lucky ).
    Try some on this link

http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads6.html

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds