freeware to do incremental backups similar to Acronis

Discussion in 'Software' started by thosecars82, Jun 12, 2010.

1. thosecars82

thosecars82 Private E-2

Hello
    Do you know any freeware to do incremental backups similar to Acronis?
    Thanks

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Acronis would be preferable if you can buy or already have it, but XXClone should do what you wish.

What Windows version you using as this is an important thing to know as these days soem apps dont work with various windows versions.

3. thosecars82

thosecars82 Private E-2

Windows XP, Vista and Seven. It seems XXCLONE is not ready either for Vista or Seven.

4. DavidGP

Hi

I tend to use Acronis for incrementals if I ever do them, but now I know the Windows versions you are using I didnt offhand know a freeware application that would cover them all and also cover your criteria, so did a little search and testing, I looked at a few applications.

I also installed the ones I thought would be good in XP/Vista/7 (the Vista and 7 installs where in 64bit versions so would imagine that there would be no issues if you are using 32bit) to test as I dont like to suggest applications I didnt know about or have not tested myself personally.

This one stood out as a good freeware option in Areca in that it should cover your criteria and its optiosn are good in encryption, backup to network and or FTP locations if you needed those, as well as a potable version, which is great to keep on a USB HDD/Pen so that you have a backup app whereever you go, to an ok GUI, the the developer has a great set of tutorials HERE to get you started with this application.

Download is HERE (as it covers Linux as well as Windows the downloads can be a little hard to find so click HERE for the installer version and HERE if you like portable apps)

5. thosecars82

thosecars82 Private E-2

Thanks for the information. Actually, I already installed that application. I have not really got to understand yet how it works though.

6. DavidGP

Hi

Yeah it does take a little reading to get to grips with it, the other application I did test is this one DFIncBackup which I ruled out as the freeware version has a 2GB max limit per backup file, so likely may not fit your requirements, but I thought I would post about it incase you hadnt tried this one yet and its size limits are not applicable.

Is it just data files you are backing up? if so give Microsoft's SyncToy a look (works in XP/Vista/7) as it is an app I do use just to mirror files on a few PCs with the aid of a portable HDD, instruction wite paper HERE on this apps functions and download HERE

7. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

If it's protecting your system drive you are interested in, rather than backing up files, then imo you should persevere with Acronis. But why incrementals? Very often the incs are huge (due to defrags), so you might as well have done a full in the first place. Also, if just one inc gets corrupted you lose the entire chain.

My advice is use Acronis manually to do a full system backup on a regular basis and forget all the bells and whistles as they are not really necessary and often cause problems or don't work at all. Used that way I'm sure you will find it easy to use.

OTOH if it's data file backup you want I agree with Halo, use a free sync program such as SyncToy, SyncBack, or my favorite at present, GoodSync.

8. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

As far as I can make Halo out that is a file only backup utility, and could not be used for a full system backup and restore capability.

It would help though if the OP would explain what type of backup he wants - selected files or full system.

9. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

I do not have a second HDD to make image backups.
    I have been using Karen's Replicator to copy specific files/folders to a
    collective backup folder and then use Nero to make a multi-session backup
    of that folder to DVD.

Is there an easier way?
    Perhaps Cobian Backup?

Thanks.

10. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

You can try the free version of Paragon Backup, I've heard a lot of good things about it. I know it does full cloning, not sure how it is on incrementals though.

11. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Wow!! Thanks Mimsy.
    Just went over some of the documentation and it looks really good.
    It will do differential backups to be used in conjunction with a full backup.
    It also has the ability to restore selected items from a backup.

The free edition is here:
    Paragon Backup & Recovery Free Edition

12. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Very welcome. We're here to help. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds