Freezing Computer [Giabyte and MSI Graphics Card]

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by maybeok, Feb 13, 2006.

1. maybeok

maybeok Private First Class

Having freezing problems with the below [A New assembled Computer tower to my requirements by a recognised computer company [350 miles away??];

Appears to be related to the compatibility of Mother Board and Graphics card installed =
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Gigabyte 915P GA-81915PC Duo Mother board
    MSI NVIDIA GEFORCE NX6600-TD 256MB PCIE TVO, DVI Graphics Card
    INTEL Pentium 4 530J/ 3.0Ghz 800 FSB 0.09u LAG775/ MB/ Execute Disable [XD]
    Windows XP Home [with all updates installed] Works Suite 2005
    Power DVD
    Real Player
    AVG Free Antivirus
    Using Windows Firewall
    DSL Broadband
    LG 700S Monitor
    Plus the normal software installed. [Nothing I had to use to install with the Windows XP Compatibility]
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Also yesterday did a clean reinstall of the Windows XP Home ETC and still had the same problem!
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

[1]
    At the moment I have been able to overcome the freezing by experimenting with customisation of the programming of the NVIDIA 71.89 [this driver is the best I found which nearly overcomes the Freezing problem.

[2]
    At the moment I have the "Troubleshoot" Decelerated back to the ".....DirectX....."

[3]
    The freezing/computer lockup "STILL" comes up while Surfing the Internet [about 2 to 4 times EACH day? [Yes today!]

[4]
    Was having a computer freeze/lockup.with
    [The below has taken me 6 weeks to achieve the below!]
    Viewing a DVD Video with a about half way through . Now with my latest customisation I can now view a complete Video
    The PhotoImpact when straightening up a photo and going to crop same [ This seems to fix this = Have altered in = "System Properties " = "Settings" = "Programs" to "Background Services" =]

[5]
    Two days ago tried a new "Radeon VC- HIS-70000-B18-PCI" graphic Card and received and had the same problems? After this it seems my problem is not related to the Graphics Card?

[6]
    [a]
    Now the question is are the above Mother Board and Graphics card compatible

Could it be Voltage/Wattage related, [I feel I have 350Watt PS installed?]

[c]
    Can the Gigabyte BIOS be modified somehow???
    Is it DirectX related?

Note; = I am not having any problems at all with any of my other installed programs!

Any Suggestions to where I go to find help?

Colin
    [Australia]

2. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Can't see any reason why your mobo and graphics card wouldn't work together. And yes you can flash upgrade a BIOS (not something I'm personally keen on but I know others will disagree :) )

Have you the latest version of DirectX? Have you run Dxdiag to see if it points to any problems?

Have you checked too see if the CPU cooling fan is running correctly as overheating CPUs can cause "freezes". :eek:

The fact that you have the same problem with a different graphicas card makes me think that it isn't the cause of the probelm.

3. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

i used to have an msi geforce 5200, and i noticed that i had to use the drivers from msi's site, and not the ones from nvidia.

could be overheated/bad hardware (vid card, hard drive, cpu, ram).

have you tried to do things in safe mode w/networking (browse the net)? see if it still freezes on you.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds