Freezing computer/ hidden RegCleaner

Discussion in 'Software' started by fixrite, Mar 21, 2010.

1. fixrite

fixrite Private E-2

Hello, burrell asked me to post a separate thread about this and here it is.

I've turned off UAC that does help a bit, but it is unrealistic to expect that that is causing the freezing. rolleyes I am attaching the Paint screen shots of my Task Manager Processes file and Spybot's Startup Menu.
    I have run hijackThis and cleared out what I knew could go, but if need be I can run it again and post it.

ProcessesAndThreads1.jpg

ProcessesAndThreads2.jpg

StartupMenu.jpg

I'm specifically wondering about these processes, where do they come from and/or how do I stop them from loading in the first place?

1) Google Toolbar Notifier, I keep turning this off in the startup menu and it keeps putting itself back in.

2) Do I really need all those svchost.exe files running? (A link to an info page on that file would be great - just a thought)

3) Windows media network sharing - I am not part of a network (except the one with my ISP) WM loads those processes itself, because there are no entries in the startup menu - on Spybot.

4) inetinfo.exe - do I really need this and where do I turn it off?

5) This has to be the strangest entry: "Sink to receive asynchronous callbacks..." Could it be part of the "act as server" applications that are on my computer for various reasons eg. IIs7 or MySQL. I don't want to actually remove these because you never know, :majorI might start into something. Still how do I turn them off and can they account for the freezing and missing RegCleaner application?

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

With most modern browsers having inbuilt search engines, do you need Google toolbar? If not, it can be removed via add/remove programs.

Yes, probably, you do. SVCHOST.EXE is a generic network service that windows uses for a great many different functions. You'll notice that some are running under different user accounts. I would not sweat this.

Not familiar with Windows Media Center myself, but if I had to guess, I would say this is probably a background service. To confirm, type 'services.msc' into the run dialog, and see if anything matches. (If the description is close, you can right-click the service, and get the properties, which will show the executable name as it appears in taskmanager. This may also be helpful if you're REALLY curious about SVCHOST)

This is IIS. Do you need it?

At a glance, this appears to be part of the .NET framework, perhaps setup for development purposes (I'm getting the impression this is what you're into). Again, are you going to use it?

3. sdawg27

sdawg27 Private E-2

Well one thing you can try doing is is go to...

Start/run/"msconfig"/startup

and from there you can turn off processes that start when you start your computer.

4. sdawg27

sdawg27 Private E-2

Oops haha I just read your post more carfully and realized you already triedthis haha sorry bout that :O working from a iPhone can be a bit difficult. Sorry bout the inconvience.

5. fixrite

fixrite Private E-2

First, I am just a "budding" developer, I used to program, years and years and years ago (in COBOL) and have taken A Java course. The thing is that there is so much to learn and I have so many projects on the go that I just dabble when I have time these days. So, I guess my answer is yes, I need those processes. :confused

Thank you for the services.msc command. I looked over all the services, there is no svchost listed there though. A problem that has occurred to me several times now is that there are so many settings and switches all over the place in Windows that a diagram or schematic of the command structures would be great. For example, now I want to remember how to disable some of the services, but it will take me some time to find the window path. I remember that "align to grid" can be turned off permanently somehow, but now I don't remember the path (Windows Help is no Help), I had "Fences" but uninstalled it because there was clearly a problem with it. So, I have "align to grid" permanently checked again.

I think the main problem is WHAT HAPPENS TO THE REGCLEANER APPLICATION? Where is it running and why is it not visible?:(

6. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

If your issue is mainly about freezing, perhaps you should boot to safe mode and see if it still freezes. How much RAM do you have?

7. fixrite

fixrite Private E-2

I've turned off UAC and removed Fences (either that is a space hog 4+ Gs or the program was infected). Now my computer seems to be going along fine. However, RegCleaner will not visibly run. I could try removing and reloading it, and I will since it does not seem to be an obvious problem. However, it would be as good as useless if it needed to be re-installed after every reboot. rolleyes

I have 2G SDRAM, apparently enough for Vista.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds