Freezing & Crashing Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Trygerkun, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Trygerkun

Trygerkun Private E-2

Hey all,

I recently bought a new Video Card & and new Ram to upgrade my computer, now my computer used to run smoothly and never really gave me any major problems aside the usual spyware or virus, but ever since i upgraded it ive been experiencing some strange problems.

Basically when i open more then 2 tabs in internet explorer or firefox it slows down majorly and then crashes, or if im running a couple different items at once it may randomly lock up and crash.

I've looked around on the net a lot and tried lots of different suggestions on other posts but nothing seems to help me with my problem.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated just let me know what u need to know and ill do my best to provide.

Thanks All

2. chigger

chigger Private E-2

Pull out a stick of ram or 2. See if it runs any better with the ram setup you had before. You may have incompatible ram issues.

Also...did you uninstall the old video drivers completely (then reboot) and install the new ones for your new card?

3. Trygerkun

Trygerkun Private E-2

Well i tried taking out the 2 new sticks of ram didnt have any effect, as for my old Vid Card drivers i think i may have installed the new card+ drivers before uninstalling the old ones, it was a little while ago now and i dont exactly remember.

4. Trygerkun

Trygerkun Private E-2

Just thought i would add a little more details about the problem.

The freezing happens randomly whether im opening a Word Document or alt tabbing between windows or even if i open up an extra tab or 2 on the internet, ive even had it freeze up right after restarting before everything had loaded, and its just the screen that freezes i can move my mouse just everything else is either unreactive or super slow delayed, if i click the mouse or keyboard too much it gives me a beep goes to black screen and restarts, if i leave it alone long enough it beeps by itself and then black screens to restart.

Any Ideas?

5. lcsmith39

lcsmith39 Private First Class

Just off the top of my head, you say everything started after the upgrades. Sooo the first thing I would look at if I were you would be the power supply. Kind of sounds like your new stuff is sucking up just wee bit more juice than your old stuff. Perhaps your PSU isn't quite up to the task.

6. Trygerkun

Trygerkun Private E-2

My current PSU says it does 500 but thats just the label on it, and my card is Nvidia 9600gt Super+1gig if that means anything i checked the website and the requirements was 400 so is my psu enough or do i need a bigger one?

7. lcsmith39

lcsmith39 Private First Class

Hard to say. It depends on the quality of your PSU. If it is a good brand, you should be ok. But if it is a cheapo, it could be lacking. The symptoms you describe are classic for a PSU that is either being pushed to it's limits or starting to crap out.

8. chigger

chigger Private E-2

Could you get a hold of an extra hard drive?

Throw a "fresh" copy of windows on the extra drive, run around on it for awhile and see how it does. You may have had a couple issues with windows before you swapped out parts and the combination of the upgrades etc. may be locking you up.

9. Trygerkun

Trygerkun Private E-2

Well, took it into the same ppl i bought the vid card from, now they tested it and my psu wasnt powerful enough to run the card, so i upgraded that and ran some tests now it seemed to run perfectly fine and lasted much much longer then it normally did...

But just a few minutes ago it crashed on me again exact same issue but now if its not the psu again what is it?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds