Freezing & VERY slow when booting & surfing

Discussion in 'Software' started by stevieink, Apr 14, 2010.

1. stevieink

stevieink Private E-2

I just left the malware forum & im free of malware so they requested i come here for assistance. My comp has been freezing for about 6mos or so(2 or 3 times a day) & is very slow when booting, when im surfin the web & is now worse after i re-partitioned my C: & D: drives last week. (i used Partition Wizard Home that i downloaded from MG website). The reason i re-partitioned my hard drive is bcause I was running out of room on my C: drive & had plenty on my D. I now have 48.2GB "free" with 67.3GB "total" on D: drive & 59.6GB "free" & 75.7GB "total" on C: drive. I also have another partition that is just an asterisk & has 2GB "free" & 6GB total. I have no idea where the last 1 came from. :confused About 45 minutes after the re-partition my comp crashed & left me with the "blue screen of death". Wouldnt even load in safe mode. i eventually remembered that i had "windows recovery console" & that worked. I dont kno very much bout computers & when i purchased the comp & downloaded anything, it would automatically put it on my C: drive. Needless 2 say i ran outta space quickly on the C: drive(came with only 13.8GB & the remaining was on D: drive) & it would ALWAYS say i had "low disc space" & would crawl. Well a friend showed me how 2 start putting all my downloads on my D: drive. i would just like 2 kno what programs (if any) i can run 2 try & pin-point the problem or if theres anything you think might help. My comp is a 6 year old Sony Vaio tower with 1.25GB RAM & a 3GB processor. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Im not 2 sure of the further info u might need so If u need some or have any questions please feel free 2 ask. THANK YOU in advance..

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  2. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

3. stevieink

stevieink Private E-2

OK..starup list contains:

Vaio Recovery
    00PTCFW (PC Tools Firewall)
    Avast 5
    Sun Java Update Schedule
    User Fault Check
    Win Patrol Free Edition
    ISUSPM
    ctfmon.exe
    Adobe Gamma Loader
    Adobe Gamma Loader
    OneNote Table of Contents.one

Then for Scheduled Tasks:(i hope this is what u needed)

GoogleUpdateTaskMachineUA
    GoogleUpdateTaskMachineC-----when i try 2 get info on this task or the task above WinPatrol crashes..:confused

Hope this is what u asked for...
    thank you

4. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Try using WinPatrol to disable the VAIO, Sun Java Updater, ISUSPM, Adobe Gamma, (both), and One Note. Also the google updates under the scheduled tasks. Reboot, any improvement?

These will not be lost and will still run when called for. Except the Updaters, I prefer to do those manually anyway.

I've also seen some issues with the PC Tools Firewall. If you disabled this, you'd be back to windows firewall, and that may help. :wave:wave:wave

5. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Adding to Brandys call, consider another firewall.
    Comodo(without the AV being active) and ZoneAlarm are 2 very good free ones.

6. stevieink

stevieink Private E-2

Well i got rid of PC Tools firewall & used Comodo firewall instead. My comp is still REALLY slow while surfing & booting...hasnt froze though :) Is there any kind of test i can do to try & see what is causing this? It got much worse when i re-partitioned my drives about a week or so when it crashed..but im scared 2 mess with that again due to the fact that it crashed last time..Well thank you sooo much for your time & if you might think of something else that i might try just let me know & i'll be happy to give it a shot...

7. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Did you disable those other programs? How does it run in safe mode?

Open a command prompt and type chkdsk /f
    Note the space before the /
    Then reboot and it will run. :wave:wave:wave

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds