Frequency is out of Range

Discussion in 'Software' started by xnavyman, Aug 13, 2006.

1. xnavyman

xnavyman Private E-2

Good Morning,
    My grandson has a game that has four discs called Tech Deck Dude, Bare knuckle Grind.
    After installing them and hit play I get a black screen with the following message.
    72K / 139hz. Frequency is out of range.
    I am getting the sound ok.
    This 'puter is running winxp pro sp2. 1800+ processor, 256mb ram. GEFORCE4 MX 440 Video card.

My other computer will run the game ok. That has the same OS & a 2500+ processor with 512mb ram & GE FORCE2 Video card.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

xnavyman

2. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

Is your computer lcd or crt?
    If it's lcd then i would say something in windows is messed up (I've had simular error happen to me before and i've got an lcd monitor).

3. xnavyman

xnavyman Private E-2

Its crt. The monitor freqency is set at 38k / 60hz

Last edited: Aug 13, 2006
  4. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

Your display settings is above your display's ability, dont know where you have it set,go back to 1024 and see if that helps, or lower if need be. leave the refresh rate at factory settings. ed

5. xnavyman

xnavyman Private E-2

Ok guys, thanks for the tips. I cannot lower the settings any lower than 800/600 and 1024 doesn't help either. I tried my LG 900B on this machine and the game works fine. I guess the Phillips 107S is a little old for the modern games. I needed an excuse to get an lcd monitor for my machine so I suppose I'll have to save up.
    Once again thanks for your help.

6. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

7. xnavyman

xnavyman Private E-2

I rewckon that would look good sitting up on the bench.

8. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Try running this program,you can manually set your refresh rate at the maximum safe refresh rates for all resolutions with only a couple of clicks,if you play a game that requires control of the refresh rate eg most EA games such as battlefield 2 you simply undo the changes using the program,I can almost guarantee your monitor will do more than 60hz at 800X600, anything below 75-80hz will damage your eyes so dont use the monitor it if I'm wrong

http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=1847

:)

9. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

I dont think that is true about the refresh rate, can you steer me towards any info in them regards. Thanks. ed

PS my monitor is running at 1440x900 @60hertz.

10. jedandjess

jedandjess Private First Class

75hz is 'flicker free' resolution, apparently. If you are using 75hz or above you shouldn't notice any flicker at all and the strain on your eyes is reduced. I can sit in front of a screen running at 85-120hz for 6+ hours if needs be, but when using 60hz after 1-2 hours I feel like I need to get away for a while.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds