Frequent 'Beeping' Before Windows Loading Screen On Start Up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by statelines, Sep 25, 2006.

1. statelines

statelines Private E-2

Okay, I don't know whats wrong, and I just noticed this an hour ago. A friend would IM me on AIM and then the window would just disappear. I then would try and right-click an icon in the taskbar and nothing would happen. The right-click menu for said icon (AIM in this instance) would appear and disappear just a quickly.

Thinking it was just my computer being gay, I rebooted. The first time, before the WINXP loading screen came up, my computer made that internal beepbeepbeep type noise, and then the loading Windows XP screen came on. I rebooted again, it did the same thing. This time, however, I cannot use alt-tab to go between windows, I cannot right-click anywhere (browser, desktop, taskbar) and to open the Start menu I have to use the Windows key on my keyboard.

I'm running WinXP, sp2 and the only thing I've installed lately was some new drivers (see one of my last posts in this community). I'm wondering if its maybe because I have 28.5 gigs of space left on my HD? I don't think so, but.....

Anyway, any help is appreciated. I know for sure I am going to buy a secondary HD next week, if I can get one for fifty bux cdn -_-;

My specs are:

Computer
    Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
    Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180
    Computer Name RENA-T22VNPV557
    User Name holla
    Logon Domain RENA-T22VNPV557

Motherboard
    CPU Type Intel Celeron II, 667 MHz (10 x 67)
    Motherboard Name Shuttle AV11 (2 ISA, 5 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DIMM)
    Motherboard Chipset VIA VT82C693A Apollo Pro133
    System Memory 256 MB (SDRAM)
    BIOS Type Award Modular (03/22/00)
    Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
    Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
    Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Storage
    Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
    Disk Drive WDC WD800JB-00JJC0
    Optical Drive ATAPI 48X CDROM (48x CD-ROM)

Partitions
    C: (NTFS) 76308 MB (35333 MB free)

I really do not have the option to get a new computer right now at all (mom and I have nothing to spare other than my gst check coming in and I need my computer for school) and at most, I have fifty dollars to spend on repair parts. I do have a friend who would possibly help me out, but I figured I would come to you guys first. Much thanks.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

3. TimW

Tell us exactly the beep code sequences ...one beep pause then x beeps?

4. TimW

Award BIOS Beep Codes
    Award BIOS uses beeps of varying duration. A long beep will typically last for 2 seconds while a short beep will last only 1 second. Award BIOS also uses beeps of different frequency to indicate critical errors. If an Award BIOS detects that the CPU is overheating it may play a high pitched repeating beep while the computer is running.
    BEEP CODE MEANING POSSIBLE CAUSE
    1 Long, 2 Short Video adapter failure Bad video adapter
    Repeating (Endless loop) Memory error Bad memory or bad connection
    1 Long, 3 Short Video adapter failure Bad video adapter or memory
    High freq. beeps (while running) CPU is overheating CPU fan failure
    Repeating High, Low beeps CPU failure Bad processor

Should run memtest:http://www.majorgeeks.com/MemTest_d350.html

5. statelines

statelines Private E-2

Sorry, I was in such a mood and panic I didn't really read through the rules proper. I've installed and ran SpyBot S&D which removed the problem that didn't allow me to change my desktop background, and I just ran HIJACK THIS (log attached).

The beep code sequence is beepbeepbeepbeep. Quick, short, and one after another. Quite different from the Award BIOS beep (which is a longer than the frequent beeps I experienced).

I am running the memtest now.

Attached Files:

6. Ryanizer

Ryanizer Private E-2

First cause of beeps is a stuck key on the keyboard!

7. statelines

statelines Private E-2

Lol, It wasn't a stuck key. I actually checked the second time I rebooted ;p

8. metavian

metavian Private E-2

Going out on a limb here. try booting the PC with the mouse and the keyboard detached. and see if the beeping continues. also if you can open an text editor (notepad) if it is a stuck key it will show up here.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds