frequent disconnects, but im still receiving things

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bobby80, Jun 24, 2011.

1. bobby80

bobby80 Private E-2

Hello, I have been having a problem for a while now that i did not understand. I notice it mostly in a certain game i play, runescape. however it happens everywhere. Every so often(i would estimate every few hours) my internet connection appears to be disconnecting, yet i am still able to receive information.

what i mean is, i can read any chat that is happening and my character will still be attacked and i am unable to respond. i am essentially logged into the game, able to see everything that is happening, but i cannot make any actions. i have tested this before with a friend and he was chatting to me in real time as this disconnection was happening, so i know it is not lag. this tends to last for anywhere from 1-5 minutes before it stops and i can use the internet again without interruption.

it is not just happening on runescape, and is not just happening on java based games. i just used it as an example to try to illustrate what the problem is.

i have looked around on the internet for an answer, but the few people i found with a similar problem did not get an answer. does anyone know what this problem is and how i can fix it? i am assuming it is some sort of interference problem, i just do not have any idea what it could be.

i am using a router, however i have tried connecting directly to the modem and there was no difference.

my isp has come over to my house at least a dozen times by now and they insist that the wiring is fine.

thank you if you can help.

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Welcome Bobby :)

Well, it probably is some kind of lag, maybe just along the more distant part of the route to the game servers, rather than being along the first few 'hops' from you, which would likely affect many more connections.

Changing your DNS server might give you different routes and improve the situation, I use OpenDNS but Google, Comodo and others have free servers.

3. bobby80

bobby80 Private E-2

i did the setup for google dns, it made the problem worse to the point that i got locked out of the game. i had to delete the changes in order to get back in.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds