Fresh Install of windows xp takes forever to load

Discussion in 'Software' started by mastercheif, Jan 20, 2008.

1. mastercheif

mastercheif Private E-2

So, I just formatted a computer reinstalled xp . Now it takes over 30 mins to boot. the windows loading screen with the blue scroller takes forever. There is no software installed, and when its loaded it runs fine. And i cant run recovery console because its telling me there is an admin pass, although there isnt one.. any ideas?

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Obviously, something as gone awry. Since it's a fresh install, and you've got no software installed, do another format and re-install Windows. First, visit your hard drive maker's web site, download and run their diagnostic (use the advanced or extended tests). Make sure the drive is healthy. Then use the utility to perform a low level format. This will completely wipe the drive clean; a good idea before a new Windows install, especially if the drive has been in use for awhile. Low level formatting can take some time, as does the diagnostic, so go have a pizza and some beers. After all this is done, install the OS again. As for the password in recovery console, did you try just pressing Enter? Alot of people see it prompting for a password and just assume that they must type something; just pressing Enter should work if you're 100% certain that you didn't "accidentally" set an admin password...
    Good luck!
    ...and welcome to Major Geeks! :major

3. mastercheif

mastercheif Private E-2

Def. didnt make an admin account. I even waited to get into windows, made one and that one doesnt work. The HD was replaced about 2 months ago. I dont know whats up with this thing.

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Well, as I said above, it's a fresh install, so reformat the drive again (preferably wipe it using a low level tool), and reinstall Windows. You have nothing on the drive to lose at this point, so you'll only lose the 45 minutes or hour it takes to install the OS.
    So? That doesn't mean it hasn't started to die. Again, visit the drive maker's web site, download and run their extended diagnostic on the drive. If the drive is new, and it is starting to fail, it'll be under warranty and you'll get a free replacement. Better that you catch a failing drive now, before it's loaded with important data.

5. mastercheif

mastercheif Private E-2

hd tests ok, even tried a new one, same issue. reinstalled windows aswell.

6. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Remove any periphs you have attached and cards except for the video of course. Another thing you can consider is testing the memory, I like memtest86+ from the front page here. It can't hurt testing the memory but XP is pretty finicky in that respect to start with.

7. mastercheif

mastercheif Private E-2

its a laptop, but i just solved the issue. The customer left a SD card in the card reader. pulled it out, boots good n fast. THANKS GUYS !

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds