Fresh install of XP, comp gets to desktop, crashes.

Discussion in 'Software' started by DustinJSanders, Dec 20, 2011.

1. DustinJSanders

DustinJSanders Private E-2

I just installed windows XP on a brand new hard drive (yes, I know xp is old, but I like it for what the machine will do) and the computer keeps crashing. It POSTs just fine and will load to the desktop. If I don't touch anything, it will be fine, but the moment I try to open internet explorer or anything else it crashes. After it crashes it will get stuck in a reboot loop and will never get to the desktop.

Everything works fine in safemode which makes me think it's a driver/software error.

Any ideas?

2. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

Right click My Computer to Advaced, to Hardware ,Device Manager,and check your drivers. or better yet,,Format and Reinstall!!!!

3. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

Hi my friend , you could give us your computer's specification , this programme will help you , give your report !! :)

4. DustinJSanders

I've reformated/repartitioned/reinstalled the HD twice already, same issue. In my device manager tree everything is fine except "Other devices." Everything has a yellow ? next to it. I have three devices:

Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus
    SM Bus Controller
    Video Controller (VGA compatible)

5. DustinJSanders

It appears to be a custom built computer. XP SP3, AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual core 5200+ 2GB RAM.

6. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

Have you tried Windows
    updates to see if those drivers may not be installed they could be sitting there waiting !? Do a WU costum scan and then check where it says Hardware.Good luck.

7. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

You are missing chipset drivers for your motherboard. I would install them and see if that helps.

Run SIW and get your motherboard model number or visually get it off the board and we can help track down drivers.

8. DustinJSanders

Micro-Star international Model MS-7302 version 1.0. Going to see if I can google around and find the drivers.

9. sach2

10. DustinJSanders

I downloaded the whole package and was having trouble extracting it. (kept failing) but finally got to the installer labeled "chipset." When I try to run it, it tells me that this installation package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid windows installation package." :-\

11. sach2

I'm guessing it is a bad download--there server seems awfully slow. I started a download but it looks like it will take an hour or so. If I get a clean download, I'll upload the chipset installer to mediafire or somewhere.

You might try to download again in the meantime if your not charged for bandwidth. I couldn't find a reputable looking site for just the chipset drivers. Maybe someone else will find one.

Re-reading the thread, I'm not sure lack of chipset drivers should cause such a crash (a reboot loop) but I still think you should have them. I'll check on my download a bit later and post back.

12. DustinJSanders

Redownloaded it on the affected machine (in safemode with networking enabled) and hit the same error) I opened SIW and looked at resources and noticed several yellow ?'s near VGA controllers. I then removed the graphics card and discovered that it was some strange MSI brand with the letters screwed on in bold over the heat sink. Under neath it I found the sticker "K9A2GM v3" which is a mobo version, so I'm going to try the MSI site to see if I can get that driver.

13. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

14. DustinJSanders

I have it installed, but it can't run in safe mode. The computer keeps crashing in normal mode before it has time to properly scan.

15. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

When in safe mode, go into Event Viewer and see if it gives a clue as to the crashes.

16. sach2

Do check event viewer to see if you can get any info. You can also try starting from the Safe Mode option using "Disable Restart on Error" to see if you get a blue screen with an error number and maybe a reference to a particular file on crash rather than boot loop.

This is a link to that model MB. I would have sworn that V3 model number translated to MS-7302v.1.1 board this morning. And the K9A2GM V2 translated to MS-7302v.1.0 as seen by SIW. I don't see that now. :confused

Anyway on the original download after unzipping I get a Setup.exe that when run starts the Catalyst updater. Did you also get that far or did you try another EXE other than Setup.exe?

You made no changes to your PC other than installing a new HD? Did your HD fail or is this just a new one to upgrade size or whatever? Just wondering if there is any connection between symptoms now and with the old HD.

17. DustinJSanders

The only changes I made to the computer are the new hard drive. I believe the old hard drive is bad, at least that's what I was told, but I can plug it in to another machine and try to boot it up. I came in this morning and found the computer on and in normal working mode. I rand live update and it worked, telling me that all of my drivers were up to date.

I checked the event viewer and here's what stood out:
    Application log:
    Type, Source, Event
    Error, LoadPerf, 3011
    Error, LoadPerf, 3012
    Warning, WinMgmt, 36
    (these all repeat several times)

System log:
    Type, Source, Event
    Error, W32Time, 29
    Error, W32Time, 17
    Warning, Dhcp, 1007
    Warning, Dhcp, 1003
    Error, DCOM, 10005
    Error, Service Control Manager, 7026
    Warning, Tcpip, 4226
    Warning, disk, 57

18. DustinJSanders

Ok, this is odd. Despite the MSI live update saying all my drivers were up to date, I look at the device tree and under "other devices" everything has a yellow ? next to it. They are
    Audio device on high definition audio bus
    SM Bus controller
    Video controller (VGA compatible)

19. DustinJSanders

I try to run that exe in safemode and I get a "failed to load detection drivers." I also tried to run the chipset installer package in the Config folder, but no dice either.

20. sach2

I see you haven't had much luck so far. If you still have the SM Bus yellow mark then you still need chipset drivers which may be part of the problem.

Since you can run in Normal mode (without ethernet cord plugged in) try installing the driver package in Normal mode. See if you have better luck.

If you get the same or different error then maybe try the package for the version 3 board. http://www.msi.com/product/mb/K9A2GM-V3.html#/?div=Driver&os=All Make sure you get the XP drivers which look like third one down.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds