fresh install of XP pro on new drive, hangs

Discussion in 'Software' started by BluesMan, Mar 30, 2004.

1. BluesMan

BluesMan Sgt. Snot Bubble

ok, got a new seagate 120 gig drive for my computer. Loading from scratch. XP loads all its drivers, takes a couple of minutes, then at the bottom of the screen it says "setup is starting windows", screen goes blank and nothing comes up. Any ideas?

2. Anon-15281db623

Anon-15281db623 Anonymized

I just reinstalled xp to. I was reading that it might shut it self down and restart several times causing the screen to go blank. My screen did go out once but it was only for 2min then it continued.
    Cooked

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

ERM, misread that.

SO this is just booting off of CD?

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

WHen the CD says to press F6, press F5. Choose the standard option when it comes up.

5. BluesMan

just tried that, get the same results. Says setup is starting windows, then blank screen , nothing... Monitor light stays green like its still getting a video signal, but no dice on the monitor

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Got RAID?
    SCSI?
    SATA?

7. BluesMan

nope, its an IWill kk266plus board, IDE 0 has new drive set as master, IDE 1 kenwood true 72x set as master, 1.4 AMD, 512mb pc133, 3com nic 3c905-c, MSI Ti 4200 128mb video card, 400+w power supply.

Just trying to setup winxp pro and start over since the other drive says "Disk read error" when I boot up. I figure that drive is on its way out.

8. BluesMan

I just hope its not the motherboard and or the processor. Was hoping to get this system up and running soon. Wasn't planning on buying more hardware.

Anyone else have any input on this?

Im gonna hit the sack and check back in the morning.

Adrynalyne, thanks for the help so far. Had no idea about the f5 thing at f6 :)

9. BluesMan

Pulled the nic and tried again. Same results, gets to setup is loading windows and screen goes blank and nothing else happens. I am starting to get the feeling I need to buy a new mobo, cpu, and ram today :(

10. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

yep as robo said just check all hardware is seated ok and nothing is grounding against the case...

one other thing to check is that in the Bios the bios boot sector anti virus setting is not activated as this can make windows install fail..... I would also possible reset the bios as well... new hardware can cause it to behave in strange ways!

1 person likes this.
  11. BluesMan

Thanks fellas. I will put the thing on the bench here at work, reseat all connections, reset the bios to default settings and make sure the antivirus setting in the bios is disabled, although Im not sure it has that option. Will report back in a bit.

12. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

13. BluesMan

thats ok man. If I can prove that its gone, im ok with that. I just dont like buying new stuff when I can't pinpoint the problem.

Thanks for the link my friend :)

14. General_Lee_Stoned

General_Lee_Stoned BuZZed Lightyear

Just a thought, but what type of hard drive did you have in there before

As now you have got a Seagate 120gig i assume its a new 7200rpm drive, which really needs a 40pin 80 conductor cable whereas older drives used 40 pin 40 conductor cable

I had one before where i kept getting disc read errors etc where someone had upgraded the machine but not the cables

This is all irrelevant if you bought the drive retail with a cable supplied, if not your probably going to need a new IDE cable when you upgrade (although a lot of motherboards supply them) and they are fairly cheap to buy so might be worth a look

Anyways just thought id throw it in, but with the fan errors etc as well it may well be the motherboard

15. BluesMan

Thanks General. I replaced the ide cable with the new one supplied with the new drive. No dice.

At this point I am looking for a new motherboard, processor and ram. Going to Fry's at lunch to see if they have anything good as I dont' really want to wait for mail order stuff. I am in the same state as Newegg , so I end up with tax and shipping, pretty close to retail....

What boards and amd cpus do you guys recommend? Looking for 3-5 recommendations so I have some ammo when I head to Fry's today.

Thanks in advance.

16. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

I have been very happy with the performance of my nForce 2 board. I'm glad to have some other chipset to use other than VIA. As for brand: Gigabyte, Epox, Abit (not too fond of Abit myself but I hear they are good for the most part especially since the technology of the nForce chipset is a little more mature.)

17. BluesMan

Thanks Kodo. Was looking at their online specials. They have a shuttle board with 2500+ chip for 179.99.

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/3980648

Not sure I am crazy about the board, but doesn't seem like to bad of a deal. I hate sitting here trying to find something when I don't know what they have in the store or if its even in stock..LOL

18. General_Lee_Stoned

Hi Bluesman sorry that didn't work out, but nothing ventured nothing gained

As for new Hardware, if your still thinking of the P4 3gig i would recommend getting the 875p chipset from a good name like Asus, Intel, Gigabyte or Abit
    I'm an ASUS man myself the P4C800-E Deluxe is a sweet board but the 875s are expensive otherwise the 865 chipset is a cheaper alternative
    But definitely get an Intel chipset if you go the Pentium route

As for Ram i would recommend getting DDR400 in a dual channel kit,so if you want 512mb buy a pair of 256 sticks and for a gig get a pair of 512s this will give you the option to use Hyperthreading ;)
    Also make sure you buy a good quality brand like,OCZ,GEIL,CORSAIR XMS, KINGSTON HYPER, mid range wise CRUCIAL make some reasonable ram
    Dont skimp on the ram it will cost you in the end

Oh and if you buy the P4 retail you'll get the Heatsink and fan included and this will be just fine unless you going for some serious overclocking

just my 02, not the cheapest but you get what you pay for and I'm working on the assumption of your earlier thoughts in the other thread :p

EDIT: oops looks like you lowered your options ;)

19. BluesMan

Money isn't the issue. Its getting something rock solid and what I really need as opposed to getting the top of the hill just because its the top of the hill. If that makes any sense.

I am looking at amd again because it seems like better bang for the buck. But Intel's are looking good as well. I just hope that my MSI Ti 4200 128mb card ends up working good with this new system. The one thing I dont want to spend money on is a new vid card.

20. General_Lee_Stoned

That shuttle system you linked looks ok got some nice features, but i dont know much about them so cant give an opinion either way
    But the XP2500 is a nice chip, id reccomend getting a good name brand ram as stated before, you want at least PC2700 (333fsb) so it runs in sync with the CPU
    Ive got a TI4200 and it runs sweet with a fairly similar setup to that ;)

EDIT: i cant see if that deal includes a heatsink/fan with the CPU something else you may need to consider

21. BluesMan

I figure I will go to the shop, pick out a motherboard then buy a retailed box cpu with heatsink and fan. I had fun the last time around picking out a heatsink/fan combo and using artic silver and all taht stuff....dont' have the time or the interest for it now. Not like I am ever going to overclock this thing.

22. BluesMan

I went to Fry's and didn't buy squat. Selection was ok but the prices were awful. Looks like NewEgg here I come unless I can find another dealer with comparable reputation, and prices thats' just out of California.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds