Fresh XP install VERY slow

Discussion in 'Software' started by lenaballerina, Jan 2, 2010.

1. lenaballerina

lenaballerina Private E-2

I have an unusual problem, and I have searched for answers on the site, but nothing has helped...

I installed XP Pro SP3 (genuine) onto a brand new harddrive, and it loaded up with no problems. I installed the relevant motherboard drivers and graphics card drivers etc, Kaspersky Internet Security, and everything was sweet. Then it began to run really slowly. But not everything. Firefox loads up with no problems, but everything Windows related runs super slowly. I click to open control panel, and walk away, and five or ten minutes later it opens. I click on it to switch it to classic view, and it sits thinking with the little torch on the folder thingy that it does. I wondered if it was something that needed an update, so I ran the updater, and it downloaded okay, but it took 24 hours to install 60 updates - which took this computer about 10 minutes beforehand. Strangely though, it starts up fine, it's not slow until actually inside Windows.

An aside, I'm reinstalling windows onto a new hard drive, because the old one got a virus, but I still need what's on it..... so I can't just wipe it. I ran up XP Home on this new drive in this system, and it ran fine, I only changed to Pro because I managed to find the disc for it.

Specs:
    Motherboard: Gigabyte ep43-ds3
    Chip: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 ghz 8mb cache 1066 FSB
    Graphics: MSI NVidia N9600GT 512mB
    HDD: Western Digital 640gb 7200 SATA
    RAM: Kingston 2x2GB

Can anyone help please? I'm so confused!! I've never come across anything like this before.
    Thanks in advance =)
    Lena

Oh, also, once I finally manage to get the task manager open to see how much of the CPU is being used, it never goes above about 2%, and usually sits at 0%, even when I'm trying to open (for example) windows explorer.

2. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Welcome to Major Geeks.
    Sorry that I don't have an answer for you, but sounds bad.
    Recently did the same new install on my machine (XP Pro) and goes pretty fast.
    I only have a P4 machine and 1GB RAM in mine.Cable connection got all Windows Updates downloaded and installed in about 25 minutes.
    Also, check out your memory usage to see what % is used or what programs are running in the background.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Try starting in Safe Mode (F8 at boot) to test it runs and opens Windows operating things that where going slowly.

Check Device Manager for any yellow ! marks and if their are any please tell us what they are?

Uninstall Kaspersky and run CCleaner and ist Cleaner and Registry tool and run the registry one until nothing is listed for removal, then reboot and see how your PC runs.

4. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds