Fresh XP Install wont boot

Discussion in 'Software' started by dbitalia, Sep 18, 2008.

1. dbitalia

dbitalia Private E-2

Hi Guys,

I'm Having a problem with a friends pc, basically the pc was able to load into windows but was very slow so I decided to back up all the documents etc and do a clean install. I booted from the xp cd and began the fresh install, I deleted the existing partitions then created a new one. I then formatted the drive using ntfs file system. Once that finished the pc then rebooted as normal, I get as far as the black xp screen loading and the machine just locks ups. I then decided to try a new hard disk as I thought it could be that, exactly the same thing happens, I have swapped the memory but again get no further than the black xp screen. I'm now thinking to myself it must be a faulty board but what I cant understand it was working fine before I attempted the reinstall.

Any ideas?

I also reset the cmos but that made no difference

2. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Can you get it into Safe Mode by pressing the F8 key as it boots? I'm wondering if it has picked a wrong driver for something in the PC.

3. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

4. dbitalia

dbitalia Private E-2

Thanks for the replies guys,

I thought it may have been the os so tried installing vista & 2000 but again it gets to a certain point and just freezes, I’m pretty certain it must be a faulty board or processor

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Just incase its a Bios and Award Bios's did come with antivirus warning, iirc it was in the Advanced Bios settings, if that mobos bios has this option disable it, then try again the install.

What sort of hardware is being used in this PC, more aiming for if its using SATA hard drives as you will need to install the driver during the very first part of the XP install, hitting F6 when prompted, SATA driver is gained from the motherboard makers site.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds