Friend's Compy Goes Kaput

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Verick, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Verick

Verick Private E-2

Okay here we go:

So a family friend's computer dies on them, and it does the whole OS can't be loaded, and so they ask me if I can help, cause I know at least a few basic thing's. and I agree to take a look at it, and so... they just... well... they have an aweful computer... and so I decided instead of bringing it with, I'll just take the harddrive with, and see if I can pull anything off of it. And so I put it in mine. and it see's it... after a few trial and error's with the jumper. but eventually it goes and I do the GetDataBack thing which is kind of crudy... and that doesn't do anything... everything's an error with that.

and so my brother-in-law who's a pretty big techie for a company somewhere in Colorado, gives me R-Studio.. which is actually pretty rockin'

free software that's 800 bucks anyway... so I install it... and such... and now... drive won't even come up in BIOS/CMOS or anything...

I've tried replacing the wires... I've reset the CMOS twice, first time just for a minute or so... then I thought maybe my board is newer or different or something.. and so I did it again for 10 minutes... and it didn't work... both times...

anyway... I was wondering if I could possibly be doing something horribly wrong... which I imagine I have done something wrong.. or else it would be working

any suggestions?

//Dave

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

The hard drive may have been failing which might have started the original problem. If that was the case, it may have finally croaked, completely.

3. Verick

Verick Private E-2

yeah.... I thought.... after it stopped seeing it on the BIOS/CMOS... I believe from what they tell me, the computer lasted them 6 or 7 year's for them... and they've never dusted inside, or defragmented, or anything maintenance. So to me that's kind of amazing it could last them THAT long... Where I get a new gig every 4 year's for sure... anything in the middle of that is just for fun.

but yeah thank's for the second on that

//Dave

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds