Friends, I Need Your Help ASAP

Discussion in 'Software' started by Adrynalyne, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I've identified what I think "may" be a bug in Windows XP today.

Here is the scenario:

Worked on someone's computer today before work. Newly installed XP Home from Dell.

Go to start>search>pictures, music, or video, put a checkbox in pictures and photos, and then click search.

The problem:

Pictures in his profile, either under My Documents or My Pictures, duplicated in the search.

There were two copies.

Rename one, it renames its copy.

Delete one, it deletes its copy.

Take the view from thumbnail view to details, they are still there.

Navigate to the folder manually, no duplicates.

I found this quite odd. Turned on Indexng Service, did not help.

Installed Sp1, did not help.

Renamed thumbs file and desktop.ini ( a little troubleshooting from the nether region). Did not help.

So I let the guy know I would research this and get back to him.

Next problem:

I went home. All three copies of my Windows XP Pro (He has Home OEM) did the SAME EXACT THING. One of them was a clean install from yesterday.

Weirdness:

If you move the files out of My Documents, and/or My Pictures, the Search no longer duplicates them.

More weirdness:

If you do a search for all files and folders, and use a wildcard, i.e. *.jpg, they do not duplicate.

I have found nothing on this (as a fix) over Google.

Can't even find a mention of it at all in the internal MS KB, and obviously not the public one. Doesn't mean it isn't there, but I can't get a query to pull anything up.

Everyone here thinks I am smoking crack; they've never seen this.

Its happening across 4 completely unrelated computers.

It happens pre and post Sp1.

It smells like a bug. it sounds like a bug. I'm not sure, but is it a bug?

Please try to reproduce the error for me!

Also, if ANYONE has a valid workaround, or a fix, please let me know!

This is a true stumper for me.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2004
  2. General_Lee_Stoned

General_Lee_Stoned BuZZed Lightyear

same results here Adrynlyne
    using XP PRO SP1

wierd???

sorry got no work round

3. Jamiko

Jamiko Sergeant

Well that is odd. I have two machines, both XP Pro with SP1. One was fine, the other had duplicates like you mentioned.

EDIT: Hmm, the difference seems to be that I selected the drive to search on the machine that did not find dupes. There must be some explanation for this oddity.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2004
  4. General_Lee_Stoned

i tried again without search assistant and still got dupes
    but i watched carefully (took about twenty goes) and because you search for pictures it says looking in pictures folders first then everywhere else

so if you watch really carefully it scan the users documents and settings my pictures folder then starts scanning the c drive and goes through exactly the same folder again

explains why it wont produce the dupes when you move them out of my pictures

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I'll try that Jamiko.

6. Jamiko

Jamiko Sergeant

GLS seems to be onto it. First it searches the "My Documents" folder and then moves onto the C: drive which also has the My Documents folder on it. Seems odd that it would show it in the results twice though.

Which explains why when I selected the C: drive to be searched it only found them one time.

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Weird.

So that extra scan is making the dupes?

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Something else I've noticed.

This only happens when you have a lot of files. I only have a couple on this machine and it doesn't happen.

9. Jamiko

Jamiko Sergeant

There isn't any dupes, it is just showing you that it found it twice (both times in the same place). Sort of like seeing something on your desk from outside the window and also from inside the office. You saw it twice but there is only one thing.

1 person likes this.
  10. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Thats what I meant :D

I should have said duplicate results :p

11. General_Lee_Stoned

yeah looks that way it will do the same for music

12. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

You guys rock!

I really appreciate this.

Its definately a bug, but there is a workaround, which is all I care about.

13. General_Lee_Stoned

no problem man

certainly livened up a quiet evening

maybe you could mention this to Mr Gates next time you go to one of his pool partys :D :p ;)

1 person likes this.
  14. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Actually, looking at this, Im not sure if this will work guys.

If I specify the C: drive, it picks up a bunch of useless crap, and not really the same things that doing an automatic search picks up. If that makes any sense.

And there are still dupes on my machine :(

EDIT: No, they arent duplicate entries. They are in different directories:p

Oh well, at least I know its a bug, and not my lack of troubleshooting ability. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2004
  15. General_Lee_Stoned

hi Adrynlyne
    this has been bugging me so ive fixed this bug myself heres what i got
    ive edited the srchui.dll with a hex viewer then saved it as schui.dll (left out
    the r) then ive rebooted into safe mode and after saving the original srchui.dll
    somewhere safe ive deleted it from this folder C:\WINDOWS\srchasst and
    replaced it with the new one i made and put back the r so its now srchui.dll
    rebooted(seemed to take a while)
    then searched for pictures with no dupes :D ;)

now im really late for bed but i didnt want this to beat me im going to attach the dll(schui.dll the one with no r) if you want to try it just use the instructions above

ok its 338kb so too big if you want to try it let me know and ill e-mail it too you

now i really need to go to bed

16. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Dude, please email it to me!!!!

I'll PM you my address.

You rock!!

17. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

If you dont mind me asking, how did you figure that out?

I look at the file with a hex editor, and just scratch my head ;)

18. Freddy

Freddy Sergeant

Are the dupes in the search in the same folder? Sometimes a dupe is created in the search screen as soon as you look a file in the search screen - a shortcut to first file is created in a 'recent' folder that when opened, of course, opens the original.

19. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Nope, this is a duplicate entry of the same exact file, in the same exact location.

20. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

Adryn,
    I Just tried the search on my machine. There are no dupes when I search.

21. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Dunno Kodo. Its happened in 10 machines I've tried myself.

What were the steps you took to search?

22. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

start.. search. files/folders..
    click on pictures music video

check pictures and photo... no key words entered.. hit enter key.. sat and watched.. scratched my ass and burped.. don't think the last two would have had any effect though ;)

23. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Where are your pictures stored?

Besides the midget pron folder ;)

24. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

It sems to me that there may be more than one way to fix this, but with tweakers...who knows what they've installed or done ;)

25. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

I have dupes in all pic folders on this XP machine and my networked 98SE box. I thought it was the camera wizard that did it...

26. jute

jute Private E-2

I did some experiments on this, and it seems that the duplicates will not show up if you either moved or renamed the "My Documents" folder, just as long as "My Documents" doesn't stay in its default location and using its default folder name. :rolleyes:

Of course, you'll need to move/rename "My Documents" in the proper way (from its properties page).

27. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Yeah thats a workaround, but not sure if its what my customer wants.

Im guessing not.

28. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

adryn, what if you changed the default my documents folder to a new folder that you created?

29. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

So far as I know, as long as the folder where the pictures are stored are not under My Documents or subfolders, the issue disappears.

Is that what you were asking me?

I still wanna know how to hex edit dll files grrrr(and have them work)

30. jute

jute Private E-2

Oops...I missed that one. Sorry. :p

31. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

*pets his little kitty*

No problem :D

*Evil cackle*

32. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

not exactly.if you change the target location for mydocuments to a new folder.. what happens?

33. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Ill try that when I get home and let ya know.

I dont have enough jpgs on this particular hunk o' crap to even have them duplicate.

(Seems to only happen when you have large amounts of files.)

Unless jute wants to give it a shot :)

34. jute

jute Private E-2

I just did that with my little experiment, no? :confused:
    By right-clicking on My Documents > Properties and changing the target path to something else...?
    There are no dupes as well if the physical folder name is not "My Documents", even if you don't move it out.

35. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Oops, I misread your orginal post.

36. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

jute, you up for being a guinea pig? I have a patch here that may, or may not help.

37. jute

jute Private E-2

Just send it over. ;)
    sattien@hotmail.com

38. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

39. jute

jute Private E-2

Testing :cool:

40. jute

jute Private E-2

Fixed it, at least on mine. ;)
    But Search won't function at first, but everything's fine after a reboot.
    Maybe you want to try it on another guinea pig, just to be sure. :D

41. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

yup, my wife tries it next.

:D

42. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Didnt work for her :(

43. General_Lee_Stoned

good morning im sending it now
    i used resource hacker and edited out the search in pictures folder first then everything else and it works a treat
    dont get all the crap you get when you specify C drive just the normal results without the dupes :D

btw im so f+&87in tired this morning you wont believe how long it took me to find the string value for this :(

Last edited: Feb 13, 2004
  44. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Thanks so much GLS. I received it and am going to try it out :)

45. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Well, thanks GLS, but I still have the same problem on my test machine. :(

46. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

No matter how many times I try and re-create this anomaly... I cannot as I dont have the options in your Pic Adryn.

Must have something to do with the fact I nuked the puppy and reverted back to the classic search function.

TweakUI will easily remove this if registry editing is not prefered.

47. Wisewiz

Wisewiz Apprentice's Sorcerer

Echo, Adrynalyne. I wanted to help as soon as I saw your call, but I've never even SEEN anything LIKE the pic you put in your first post in this thread, so I was out of it on that count, AND ...

I have NEVER, ever put ANYthing in MY Pictures, My Music, or My Documents, and I have no vids on either of my drives.

Sorry to have been nothing but an interested observer on this one, man.

48. sniper-uk

sniper-uk Private E-2

good work g-l-s shame it doesent work for everybody never mind

49. Ken3

Ken3 MajorGeek

Maybe I'm way off base here, but would Roaming Profiles come into play here? I know this is a Search bug, but this nagged into my brain and had to put this in. Don't know a lot about it. Hopefully someone here can negate/invalidate this guess.

50. General_Lee_Stoned

hi Adrynalyne yeah i retried this again and it didnt work :(

anyway i was really tired last night so i must have overlooked something
    went back through all my changes i made and i think ive sussed what it was
    when you check the pictures music or video box i looked in the advanced options-then more advanced options-and the box to search subfolders was checked automatically
    so i edited the lcladvxm.xml in srchasst folder so that it was not checked by default forgot all about that and carried on editing the dll file
    anyway once i thought i had it rebooted went to search made sure the subfolders box was unchecked then proceeded to search and hey presto no dupes thought id cracked it because the search window didnt show the searching picture folders first then c drive
    so now feeling well pleased with myself i didnt bother trying it again

anyway my dll edit worked in that it didnt search picture folders first but still creates duplicates unless you use the advanced options i listed earlier :confused:

sorry about that man im sure theres something im missing just cant put my finger on it anyway hopefully ive helped in some way

moral of the story is always test everything more than once no matter how tired you are ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds