From Bad to Worst, think Newegg will help out a loyal customer?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by frankzro, Aug 7, 2011.

1. frankzro

frankzro Corporal

Getting rid of the damned Noctua ONCE AND FOR ALL!! >_< The thing is so annoying to own because it is restricting the type of RAM i can purchase!

Im going to RMA the Noctua and my freaking Mobo...

here is why.

Ended up purchasing two pairs of DDR 3 Triple Channel RAM "Patriot Viper II Sector 7's" = 24GB.

Well here is what drew the final straw!

Me and another employee confirmed that the Patriots would fit under the stupid Noctua because on Noctua's site they are confirmed for height -_-.

WELL NOCTUA YOU FAIL!

The ram sticks did not fit -____-, so I went to remove the Noctua from my CPU. Once removed to my surprise to I see freaking thermal grease EVERYWHERE!!! >_< ( FML)...

Long story short do not EVER let your "know-it-all" friends apply the thermal compound to your 500+ dollar components... ever.

So yeah I removed the Noctua and the paste was all over plus it was a pain to remove the Noctua.

So after noticing that there is a bunch of compound I then attempt to remove the CPU because the CPU ( i970) IS FILLED with compound ( Uhhg!) so I removed the CPU to clean the top and the stuff starts to drip in to the FREAKING MOBO CPU VALLEYS!!! ( Yes!!! ) on top of that I noticed that the pins for the CPU house are bent -_- and have compound in them.

I managed to clean the CPU off nicely and it should still be working but the G1.Sniper is no longer usable after less than 15hrs of owning the board

The Good news!

Getting rid of the Noctua and ordered a Corsair Hydro Series H100 from amazon.

Other good news on top of this turd sandwich, I purchased a 1 year warranty which covers Accidental Damage but I just got the board so... I have no idea what the hell is going to happen. The third party warranty people say the Warranty starts after the warranty from the manufacture.

So I am not sure what hell I am going to run into but these damned people better replace my Mobo... it has literally only been 24 hours of owning it.

Think they will just replace it ? All that money down the drain sucks -_-

So Refund for the Noctua

and Trying to get a replacement mobo (G1.Sniper)

Seriously any kind of feed back will be great... I need help and need to know if Newegg will be forgiving for this error. 400 dollar Mobo Not broken, and not totally worthless. Actually its possible that it could be fixed and the pins aren't that bent. Plus the thermal compound is non-electrical so... give me your thoughts.

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

If you used a credit card for the purchase, here's another possibility:

Check your credit card's extra perks. Many offer a plan where -- if an item purchased with the card is lost, stolen or damaged within 90 days of purchase -- the cost of it will be refunded (on damaged items, you have to fill out a claim form and send the damaged item(s) back to the plan administrator. I ended up using this once on a motherboard that had an accidental (ahem...) CPU mounting failure :-o).

If you're not sure if your card offers this, call the toll-free customer service number on the back of your credit card and ask.

Hope this tip helps. :)

3. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

If i buy a motherboard, then drop it and it breaks, why should newegg replace it, regardless if i just opened the package. And if they dont rma it you will probably whine and bitch in about how newegg cheated you.

4. frankzro

frankzro Corporal

Yep :D

But my complaint is that I paid them the extra money for the one-year warranty which is why I want them to replace it anyways. I can't file a claim since the item is still under the "Man-Warranty" and that last for 3 additional years before my extended warranty will even kick in. So Yes paying 500 dollars does make me feel cheated since Gigabyte prolly won't take it back , but really its not really that bad, maybe I just think it is? anyways I purchased another board, but I wanna know what they will say when I call... they might as well just give me the board since if I filed a claim it would kick-in because Manufacturer can't do anything. This may get interesting seeing how Newegg is screwing me... because thats 900+ dollars give me a freaking break rally? they better help me the hell out on this and at least let me send it over to claims. Im already out more money if they don't because I am sending it back, so you can say that so far they have no helped me at all :p

5. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

How is Newegg screwing you? You attempted to use an aftermarket cooler on the CPU (which violates the CPU warranty, BTW). Then you incorrectly mounted the CPU where, by your own description, it is pretty obvious YOU (via a "friend") applied way way more TIM (thermal interface materials) than you are supposed to.

Then it is apparent you physically abused the CPU, bending some of its pins. I hope it was not taken out by poor ESD control.

You did not state which Noctua you have but I note on their website, this disclaimer:
    With all due respect, it sounds like you did not do your homework thoroughly first - both in researching your parts, and in the proper handling and assembly of the components after that. I don't see sticking the blame, and costs, on anyone else is fair at all.

I don't know what your best option is. Certainly, you could contact Newegg and ask about your options. But understand if you do not voluntarily tell them upfront what you did, and what happened and then attempt to get free replacements, that is deception for personal gain - the definition of "fraud" - a criminal offense!

We all have our horror stories from when we started out, or got careless building PCs. Taking a hit or two in the wallet due to our own lack of knowledge and experience is part of the learning process. A painful part, but a learning part just the same.

6. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Nice post Bill.
    I wrote a similar post but decided not to send it as i thought i was being too aggressive on the guy.
    Yep we have all learned hard and expensive lessons and hope not to repeat them.

7. frankzro

frankzro Corporal

Check my other posts , I did my homework. The mistake was letting someone help me.

The Noctua 14 for short ( The big one). Under the terms of the extended warranty which I will gladly post right now it covers accidental damage which that is. Fraud? How? If I am buying the product again and they say no then I have the board again... my reasoning is very simple not really all that complicated. They have not received the board yet, plus my i970 CPU is fine because it does not have pins on it ( This was actually a shock to me, new to the INTEL boards with tiny pins ).

The board is arriving today so I am not worried about what Newegg will say to me really but I planned ahead encase they say no. Im not even close to being made of money just to buy something for that much and then turn around and buy it again. But that is how bad I wanted it and gave them repeat business... Now if thats not loyalty already then I dunno what is, if they say no then they say no OK its done. I will want them to provide me with the extended Warranty I purchased for that board and put it on the new one. Its possible I can put it on another item though too...

The thing is guys, I could have lied about it and felt worst but I told Newegg the truth, heres what I wrote in the comments
    " ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE FROM HANDLING (ADH) - Went to remove a Noctua NH-D14 from the board and noticed that after removing the CPU some of the pins were bent and small amount of thermal paste fell in."

I could have easily said I was removing a stock INTEL Fan and thermal grease fell in to the CPU bay and noticed some pins where bent... but it does not matter because I didn't lie to them and that makes me feel a whole lot better as a person.

An e-mail has been sent to your account with detailed instructions(view).

My entire argument is based on this here :

ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE FROM HANDLING (ADH).ADH pertains to You if listed on the reverse side of this Contract. Your Product is protected against accidental damage from handling. ADH will end prior to the expiration date when We have, as a result of service provided to You, replaced Your Product or incurred costs under this plan and all other coverage equal to the original purchase price of Your Product (as indicated on your invoice). ADH only covers operational or mechanical failure caused by an accident from handling and does not include protection against normal wear and tear, theft, misplacement, negligence, viruses, reckless, abusive, willful or intentional conduct associated with handling and use of the Product, cosmetic damage and/or other damage that does not affect the unit functionality, damage caused during shipment between You and Our service providers and any other limitations listed in the Limitations of Coverage section. Any resultant damage from this type of treatment is NOT covered by this ADH program. The use of this coverage requires an explanation of where and when the accident occurred as well as a detailed description of the actual event. Failure to provide this information will result in claim denial.

Now that being added, here is where I wish Newegg would help me:

LIMITATIONS OF COVERAGE – This Contract Does Not Cover:

Any Product located outside the continental United States, Alaska, and Hawaii. (US only).
    Service required as a result of any alteration of the equipment, or repairs made by anyone other than a participating servicing dealer, an authorized service provider, its agents, distributors, contractors or licensees, or the use of supplies other than those recommended by the manufacturer.
    Damage or other equipment failure due to causes beyond Our control including, but not limited to, repairs necessary due to operator negligence, the failure to maintain the equipment according to the owner’s manual instructions, abuse, vandalism, theft, fire, flood, wind, freezing, power failure, inadequate power supply, unusual atmospheric conditions, animal or insect damage, acts of war or acts of God.
    Service necessary because of improper storage or improper ventilation, including failure to place the equipment in an area that complies with the manufacturer’s published space or environmental requirements. Any installation that prevents normal service.
    Misuse, abuse, reconfiguration of equipment or improper movement of the equipment. Any utilization of equipment that is inconsistent with either the design of the equipment or the way the manufacturer intended the equipment to be used.
    Any and all cases in which the manufacturer of the equipment would not honor any warranty regarding the equipment.

Seems the word"ACCIDENTAL" Is very misleading :)

8. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Since you wanted extra attention with this issue, and double posted the same thing from your other thread, I'll repeat what I said there:

I don't even let people borrow my tools, as people tend to not treat things they borrow with too much respect. You would have to kill me in order to touch ANYTHING inside my computer.

I hate to say it, but as the motherboard isn't defective, and the issue is pretty much your fault, I highly doubt you can get a replacement. You should probably get the person that doused it with thermal paste to pay for a replacement motherboard, and let him keep the fudged one as a reminder.

To caveat that statement:

It was entirely your decision to let someone else handle your stuff, so you're ultimately responsible.

If you think that warranty covers what you did, then you're quite irresponsible, at best. Warranties that cover accidental damage from handling doesn't cover a situation where you painted the board with thermal paste. If you claim the board can probably be fixed, then fix it yourself. Don't charge someone else's time and money to fix your mistake.

You claim it's such a big deal that you spent so much money compared to your income/whatever. Great... so maybe be more careful with the items you buy, if you're going to buy things you don't want to buy again.

9. frankzro

frankzro Corporal

Thanks Gman I am looking into this right now... Not sure whats going to happen but we will see. Need to cover all the bases on this one cause its nuts lol, i feel like I spent the extra 35 bucks and paided extra 33 dollars for shipping for nothing haha. Why did I ever let that guy help me? :p To think the entire time I was debating not letting him help me out because I LOVE to take my time building my PC. So.... never again :)

10. frankzro

frankzro Corporal

Everyone is so angry or appear to be, why? I am man enough to say I made a mistake but trying to fix it would be stupid of me, I took pictures and all that. I forgave the person who messed up my stuff, I don't even want him to pay me back. So, what does that say about me? --- I am a forgiving person and I do learn from my mistakes, THIS has NEVER happened to me ever and I have built multiple machines, but this is the only time I let him help at all. Yes this is my mistake, and yes I already bought the other board AND from Newegg again... so if they say no I have the board and end of discussion I will be happy either way, but just very concerned about how mislead I was with that Extended Warranty, so I will not buy another and will transfer it to the new board. So really I do not have an issue, as I call out myself and say yes I was stupid for letting someone help me, yes this is my fault and yes I will not let the person help me again.

Yes I was complaining, but only because I was ignorant to the fact that I lacked the knowledge to read into this even further. I failed to be responsible for the product I purchased and on top of things did not go with my gut and get the Corsair H100 I wanted. Yes I messed, so now there are no more negative things you can say to me because I KNOW what I did. :)

Only positive post I got was from Gman and thank you sir :)

11. frankzro

frankzro Corporal

Man and I thought the time I blew up my PC was bad haha, thank you man.

I did the research on the CPU cooler, on its site it was verified that the G1.Sniper Board was ok, and even the ram I purchased was ok, according to their site, but it turned out that they were wrong about the patriots. Oh well its all in the past now :). I am an honest man and none of the things I have said on here have been done towards Newegg :) . I will call them and ask them about what can be done...

12. Digerati

And that's part of my point. Sadly, being truthful can be more costly, but like most things, doing the right thing is more beneficial in the long run. Sometimes it sucks to be the goodguys.

You are talking about Newegg's warranty and if they cover accidental damage, then great! I am really happy for you as you'll beat the odds! That is, most extended warranties are simply cash cows for them, not us consumers. So as long as Newegg is aware of the events, and it meets the terms of the extended warranty, then you are absolutely correct - that is not fraud and more power too you.

Maybe there's a lesson to be learned by all - extended warranties that cover accidental damage may be a good thing for new builders - because accidents do happen.

Note I was talking about the 3-year CPU warranties provided by AMD and Intel. Those warranties require the supplied cooler be used, or it violates the terms of the warranty.

Intel CPU Warranty Information (my bold added):
    Intel warrants the Product (defined as the boxed Intel® processor and the accompanying thermal solution)... ... if the Product is properly used and installed, for a period of three (3) years. This Limited Warranty does NOT cover:
    • damage to the Product due to external causes, including accident, problems with electrical power, abnormal electrical, mechanical or environmental conditions, usage not in accordance with product instructions, misuse, neglect, alteration, repair, improper installation, or improper testing; OR
    • any Product which has been modified or operated outside of Intel's publicly available specifications

The AMD CPU Warranty is crystal clear (my bold added):
    "This Limited Warranty shall be null and void if the AMD microprocessor which is the subject of this Limited Warranty is used with any heatsink/fan other than the one provided herewith."
    Now if you are suggesting the 3rd party cooler warranty covers CPU replacement for 3 full years, that I would like to see because I know of no aftermarket cooler maker, or motherboard maker, who covers CPU damage if their cooler or motherboard supplied overclocking utility somehow (even if rare) damages the CPU.

Right, most (if not all) Intel's have used pads rather than pins for several years now. But the term "pin" has stuck. My apologies as I try to use the right terminology, and clearly didn't. But pad or pins, they can still be damaged easily, as can the sockets.

13. frankzro

frankzro Corporal

Yeah, I really just hope that Processor is ok , I wasn't rough with it at all but that damned paste! lol man...

To end this thread now and forever, I got off the phone with Visa, Newegg, and the Warranty company. They all said no :). I rather be the good guy though.

As far as that warranty went it was only for replacement and parts and Labor. The description for the link was put in a weird way that didn't link up with what I was buying. So, they do not offer Accidental Damage on any Mobo... lame haha.

All and all I lose, I fail... Do not let said friend touch X computer which cost X amount of money :)

14. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I just hope it wasn't a 'good' friend, not the type that you'd want to be throwing out as that well meaning but ignorant fool is worth more than money can buy. Give him shit anyways!:-D

15. Digerati

It is hard to say if too much TIM caused any damage, but if that happened, I might wonder if the friend did something else wrong too.

Of course, what did he say before this all started? If he said, "I watched cousin Vinny do it once" and you let him anywhere near your house, then you need to be taken out back and shot.

If he said, "I've done it dozens of times with no problems", and you have no reason to doubt him, then slap him upside the head.

16. frankzro

frankzro Corporal

Yeah hes a good friend, but that just lost him all privilege to touch any of my computers EVER! We can still be cool but this guy is broke and has no job at all and isnt really trying hard to get a real job. On top of that he has no care either... Hes 23 and thinks that babysitting part-time will get him to save money... Trust me I told him what was up... Hes funny he goes " My Dad said to do it like this ..." When he went to apply the grease, His dad doesn't do anything with new tech at all, he knows PCs but its like I told him after the craziness... "Be your own man and stop trying to be so much like your father, he wasn't there to help us and he doesn't know what the hell he was talking about"

I'm smart enough to know how to apply thermal paste, but I was being... "Too Nice" I been messing with these Forums since Viperboy and ASUS where always posting and answering posts and I asked many questions when I was building my last PC that is being replaced with the current one :)

Haha he was acting like he had done it many times, but he really doesn't he thinks hes so much smarter than me because his father does electronics for a living and works with chips and all that, but he is NOT his father so far from it lol!

I can tell you that I was using 91% Alcohol to clean the processor with my fine microfiber cloth. I think 91% is ok if I can't find 99% but recently I was at Safeway and they had 99% :D so I bought two bottles.

When I get my other "Broken" G1.Sniper back, unless the guys at Newegg can actually fix it, Ill just try and fix it myself. But the problem is... Testing it. Ill need someone to provide a cheap *** Sandy bridge chip to place in the bay and try it out.

I know a guy at a shop who may try to get it to work and place the pins back cause they have the tools for it.

Also I can sell it to one of you guys for like 130 bucks, and if you fix it that's is a basically "FREE" G1.Sniper MOBO

EDIT: Yes so the amount of Paste in the Bay is in two places and really are only about the size of this capital "T" worth on the Bay its not much at all .. hmm maybe one my be the actual size of this capital "L" that's all that is in the bay :)

17. Digerati

That's perfectly fine. The standard is 73 - 76% which can leave a film, so I recommend 91 - 93%.

I can tell you from experience with my kids whose father was a technician and loved computers, they wanted nothing to do with it! They think a computer should just work. And if it doesn't, call Dad! ;)

18. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

roflmao Dad has only so much patience in him that if he gets infected one more time then he's banned. I just say to go pay for some professional help as this is beyond my expertise!:-D

Hasn't bugged me since for the last couple of years. I always ask how the machine is doing and he always looks askance and says "Just fine dad, why do you ask?"

Just checking if you needed any help son.:)

19. frankzro

frankzro Corporal

20. Digerati

Ah, well we went through that before when he let his roommate use the computer to download tunes from whoknowswhere and it became a malware cesspool. It took several weeks before I got around to fixing it.

21. Digerati

You can only bend them a couple times before they break. :(

22. frankzro

frankzro Corporal

Ahem...

"Darth Vader: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!"

:(

23. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Malware is like porn: No matter how much of it is found on a PC, the owner always swears they had nothing whatsoever to do with how it got on there. :-D

24. Digerati

Very true - and another reason to have just one user per computer.

25. frankzro

frankzro Corporal

Know what is screwed up about computer in general? ... Malware, Viruses and hacks.

Why? Because WE created them and I have no clue why we would want to sabotage our own creation at all. I understand security and all that but Malware should not exist and anti-virus software should not exist. See how people can turn a good thing into a really negative thing? Like the internet isn't even close to what it should be at all.

Hehe we set ourselves up to fail, imagine if everyone stopped using a computer for a week, there would be that one bastard who thinks hes god and try to take over... Why? Because people are freaking nuts!

26. Digerati

That's why the blame for the security situation we are in today belongs on badguys.

27. frankzro

frankzro Corporal

OMFG!!!!!! What does this mean!!!? O_O

I sent back the board and Newegg APPROVED IT!!! O_O DAAAHHH FAWWK :O
    :eek :eek :banghead :banghead :spam

Look O_O!!!

Edit: So are they replacing it really? ...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  28. Digerati

Looks like it. You can always compare serial numbers. I would trust Newegg because they really do appreciate your return business too - but if still in doubt, put a super tiny dot on the board somewhere with a permanent marker. Take a picture to ensure you don't forget where you put it, then compare it to the replacement board.

29. frankzro

frankzro Corporal

Wait never mind , false alarm... Newegg is very misleading these days which is why I checked my email afterwards to confirm that they where gonna try to fix it. They said this in the Email.. :

Unfortunately, the below item(s) was physically damaged and beyond the applicable Newegg.com warranty coverage as indicated in our Standard Warranty Policy.

Motherboard was received with apparent end-user caused physical damage to CPU socket contact pins.

Seveal pins have been bent beyond repair. Customer noted damage was user-caused, this voids Newegg's return policy.

Items received with physical damage cannot be processed by Newegg and voids our return policy. End-user would need to contact the product manufacture for direct support.

RMA denied, return to customer.

For further assistance, we recommend contacting the manufacturer directly to see if they can offer repair or replacement of the item(s) under manufacturer warranty. Please use the following link to find the contact info for any manufacturer whose items we carry: Contact Manufacturer.

... in other words... K!!! O!!!! Owww.. :(

30. Digerati

Oh well. It does not hurt to try. I though you straightened the pins?

31. frankzro

frankzro Corporal

I sent my board back like right after all that madness happened.

32. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

While I agree that malware and viruses are a bane upon society, for those of us who make a large part of our living preventing and/or removing them it's a double-edged sword. The total elimination of malware would be to computer repair shops what an end to crime would be for law officers or an end to obesity would be to the medical profession: Massive unemployment, given the supply of geeks/cops/doctors would be much higher than the lowered demand for services.

Over the past month, I estimate at least 75% of my labor revenue has involved PCs brought in due to virus & malware issues. The gold medal goes to the customer who thought the OEM copy of Norton 2000 (yes, 2000) on his 10+ year old eMachines SDRAM PC was still protecting his system against infections. :heli

33. Digerati

This goes back to what I have been saying and asking for years - ever since Congress and EU ordered Microsoft to remove anti-virus features from the soon to be released XP.

Norton, McAfee, CA, Trend Micro and the other big anti-virus providers at the time whined and cried to Congress and the EU that Microsoft was trying to run them out of business and rule the world. They were, but that's not the point. Norton, McAfee, CA, Trend Micro and the others cried that it was their job to rid the world of malware.

I asked, and continue to ask, what incentive does Norton and McAfee have to rid the world of malware? It will put them out of business.

Microsoft has lots of incentive - because they keep getting falsely blamed by bashers and unprofessional IT journalists for the security mess we are in - when clearly it is the badguys that put us here, and the anti-malware provider's failure (lack of incentive) to stop them.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds