Front USB ports Problematic

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by anon_private, Sep 21, 2013.

1. anon_private

anon_private Private First Class

Hi,

I have a Dell Dimension E520 tower system running Vista 32bit.

The rear usb ports work well, the front two usb ports do not read the drive.

Hence, the driver must be undamaged (All usb2 ports).

I note in Device Manager a yellow traingle under usb controllers and a note regarding a code 10 error. I have the latest driver (and the rear ports work well. I believe that this error is misleading).

The motherboard is almost new.

My conclusion is that the front panel containing the two usb ports is faulty.

Do you agree?

If not, or if you have any further suggestions, please let me know.

Best wishes.

A

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Do the front audio ports work?
    I ask because
    If they do not work also, it could be a bad ribbon cable, not the motherboard that is the problem.

3. anon_private

Thanks for responding.

I have a microphone and headphone connections to the left of the front usb ports. I assume that you are referring to these ports.

I don't have a microphone or a headset, so I don't know if these ports work.

4. anon_private

I have now borrowed a set of headphones.

On connecting them to the front headphone socket, I can hear sound.

I assume that this means that all the cabling to the front panel is alright.

I was looking at a front panel for my machine on ebay and noticed a capacitor between the two usb connectors. I know that capacitors often cause problems on the motherboard. I wonder if this capacitor could be the cause of my problem.

Best wishes.

A

5. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

Not likely. The troublesome capacitors were old style electrolytic caps used in power and regulator circuits. And you typically could spot the failing caps as they leaked electrolyte, appearing as dried white to dark brown foam oozing out the tops or bottoms. Or they were bulging, getting ready to start leaking.

I would check to ensure the cables are securely connected.

With errors noted in Device Manager, I would disconnect any USB devices, uninstall the drivers, shutdown the computer completely, unplug from the wall to remove the ATX required +5Vsb standby voltages for about 10 seconds, then connect, boot and reload the drivers. Then see what happens.

Is this "almost new" motherboard still under warranty?

6. anon_private

Thank you for your advice, I'll try your suggestions.

Unfortunatley the motherboard is not under warranty.

Fortunately, I have another two USB connections on the monitor, fed from the back of the tower. Hence, I don't really need the two on the front, although I would like them to work.

Best wishes.

A

7. anon_private

Digerati.

When you advised unistalling the drivers did you mean all the host controllers and all the hubs?

Do you know which of these controls the mouse (to be done last) because I will lose control of this device and then be unable to uninstall anything further.

Incidently, all the controllers and hubs are reporting that they are working correctly. Do you still advise uninstalling?

I am unsure of the theory behind your suggestions. What is the difference between simply uninstalling then re-installing the drivers, and the more complex procedure you propose. Is it the best method to ensure a clean re-install?

Best wishes.

A

8. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, anon_private.

Pardon the interruption. Please clarify the following:

Did the symptoms change upon reboot (indicating a possible software cause) or did they change during normal operation (which might point to a cabling or connection problem)?

9. anon_private

You are quite right to point this out.

I was about to edit the post.

All ports are reporting as working correcly when the usb thumb drive is not inserted into one of the front usb ports. When it is, I get the Code 10 error message (relating to mass storage).

I also meant to ask if I uninstall the keyboard will I be able to type in my Vista password on booting.

Best wishes.

A

Ps. I have not made any changes as yet - no differences have been noticed.

10. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

Even if you uninstall the host controllers, when you reboot, Windows will see the hardware and re-install the drivers.

It is not true that you will lose mouse and keyboard function. If that were true, you would not have mouse and keyboard function when you boot into the BIOS Setup Menu which you do before the boot drive (and thus Windows drivers) are even touched.

Remember, when you build a new computer, you have mouse and keyboard before Windows is even installed.

11. anon_private

I know that when I unistalled some drivers, as I recall from one of the USB Root Hubs, I did lose mouse function. I can't remember at what stage the driver was re-installed.

I was worried that I might not be able to type in my Vista password. I can't reember at what stage the keyboard driver was installed. From what you say all drivers are installed before Vista is activated.

12. anon_private

I followed your instructions and they have worked.

I uninstalled the USB hubs, leaving the controllers in place and disconnected all usb devices. The only way I could shut down the machine was to press the power on/off button. I disconnected the mains plug and waiited.

On reconnecting and booting (I was asked to start Windows normally - due to switch off) the Windows side bar (as usual) failed to strart and interrupted the driver installation, but that appears to have had no effect.

When I only uninstalled the usb hubs and rebooted, it did not work. Why does it work when the devices are disconnected as is the mains.

I am shutting down the pc now and hope that things will be fine on booting.

Best wishes.

A

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds