frozen xp2

Discussion in 'Software' started by jarcher, Oct 23, 2007.

1. jarcher

jarcher I can't handle a title

my wife and I finally split after years of torture and I moved and took the pc.
    havening to stay at my moms till I can get back on my feet, I had to install a wireless adapter to use the net. .since then the pc randomly stops responding. .completely, no mouse keyboard, window activities. . .whether I am online or not
    now. .I take the pc back to my wife for a few days and it is fine, bring it back. .and it starts all over again. .so I figure it has to be related somehow. .

Compaq presario
    win xp sp2

netgear rangemax usb 2.0 adapter
    I have installed and reinstalled the drivers and the whole thing. .

thanks, in advance,
    archer

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Best to open the router and check the settings at your wife's place, write them down then open the router at your mom's and check the settings.

Also is there a cordless phone or a microwave near the computer at your mom's? Those things can have an affect on wifi.

3. jarcher

its cable at my wifes place. .
    and the router is up on a barn. .lol. .at my moms. .
    (its shared)

and it doesnt matter if I am online or not. .

only if the adapter is pluged in(I think)
    and no microwaves or cordless phones
    near. . and I am online at nights, when none would be used. .

4. plodr

I don't mean to physically open the router (it doesn't matter if it is physically not easily accessible). Open the configuration utility of the router and check the settings on the differnet pages. Also what is the model at you wife's and the model at your mom's?
    Now if the router is cable and ethernet at the wife's, is it dsl or cable (not ethernet rather television) at your mom's? It does make a difference.

5. jarcher

there is no router at my wifes
    that is what I am saying

6. plodr

What modem and wifi card/chip are you using with the netgear rangemax router? and what model is the netgear rangemax? Are you the only wifi user? If not, does anyone else experience the freezing?

WPN824 (router), DG834PN(modem and router), WNR834B, WNR854T, DG834N, WPNT834, 240

7. jarcher

i have installed the netgear adapter to a laptop, with win me,with no problems. but on the win xp pc it freezes, either in seconds or a couple hrs.
    I have no idea what the router is. .it is not excessible.
    all i know is that it is a NETGEAR WPN111.

8. plodr

I'm confused, you talk about a ME computer and an XP computer. Are there two different computers?

9. jarcher

the problems are ona pc xpsp2
    i installed the same software onthe laptop ME that I amusing to be here.
    and thereare no issueswith it.

10. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

so it's a driver issue in xp. Make sure you have the latest drivers for xp from manufacturers website

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds