Frustrated!! Please help??

Discussion in 'Software' started by Monki, Nov 12, 2005.

1. Monki

Monki Private E-2

1) Yesterday I deleted a few things from my computer which I really didn't think was necessary. Today, I got on and my AIM program took over my computer!!!!. It would not let me exit out of it or do anything else like check e-mail etc..... I had to turn my computer off to get off. It wouldn't even let me open the Start window to shut it down. Anyway, I fumbled around with it some and I think I got that part fixed. Now, I am getting a TrayApp error. It says ... "The path "1" cannot be found. Verify that you have access to this location and try again, or to find the installation package "TrayApp.msi" in a folder from which you can install the product TrayApp.. I found 3 folders that were linked to it. Two of them were linked to my HP A-In-1 printer and I think the other was linked to notepad??(not sure) Anyway, I don't know how to fix this. I don't think my printer is configured with the PC correctly either. 2) Also....MSN has been my ISP since '99. I am getting really put out with them. For months now my connect speed has been at 24kbps. I had the phone company to check the lines and they are okay. My mom who lives the next town over is having the same problems with MSN and my father who lives about 150 miles away as well. But, I talked to MSN for a couple of hours going through a million trouble shooting steps which didn't resolve the issue. The rep. had me to put in init. string AT+FX which shows a connect speed of 57.6. She told me I needed to update my modem driver (& it needed to be done atleast every 6 months) and my speed should be up to atleast 44-48 ATLEAST!! Well, I have a Dell Computer with a stupid BCM56KModem which the driver obviously is distinct now!! I can't find any updates for it. I called Dell and they wanted to charge $99 for tech support (got my computer 11-03):rolleyes: I told them it wasn't my fault they installed a piece of crap modem in the computer with no driver updates available!! I told them no thanks for the tech. support with the $$fee. By the way, I was trying to delete some un-needed software in the first place to free up some memory that I thought might be bogging it down. I know there are so many things I could get rid of like hidden files, etc..but I'm scared to delete anything not knowing what it might affect. MSN gave me 2 months free "to think about not cancelling them". So, in the mean time...any suggestions on a good fast dial-up ISP?? I may have to end up with DSL/Cable but it's gonna be a last resort because of the cost.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated!! Sorry this thread was sooo long!! Don't forget about my TrayApp error!:confused:
    Thanks!

2. Petaluma

Petaluma First Sergeant

hmmm..that is a loooong ??\

the drivers do exist here
    http://www.modem-drivers.com/companies/161.htm
    http://www.driversearch.com/cgi/search.cgi?q=bcm+56k

The connection speeds advertised are not neccisarily so- they may be able to do the speed but the phone line has limitations (i run DU on a 56k modem supposedly connected at 44kbps--in actual DL it is more like 5 to 6kbps)

a few other thoughts on dial up this morning
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=77210

Tray app error ...
    From the description you deleted something-- do you have an os disk-should be able to load from there(repair)

pheewthatwasfun

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds