Frustrating Problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by NickiO, Dec 1, 2011.

1. NickiO

NickiO Private E-2

Hi Everyone,
    I am a student taking a Cisco course and I usually run IE9. I started having problems accessing the website (cisco.netacad.net) after I installed the latest upgrade to Flash Player (11.1.102.55). After installing this, I could no longer access the website. The website states "**You don't have Macromedia Flash Player! Install here". I was able for a short while to get it working again by restoring my computer to before I upgraded Flash, but not too long after that there was a Microsoft Update that sent me back to "**You don't have Macromedia Flash Player! Install here". I have tried uninstalling Flash, emptying my caches, running CCleaner and nothing has worked. I finally broke down and downloaded Chrome and was running along fine until a day or so ago. It's coming to the end of the sememster and the class I am taking includes a skills based assessment of Packet Tracer. When I clicked on the link for the assessment, I got an error message that states "No Java Runtime Engine (JRE) is configured for your browser. Review the setup procedure located in the Assessment section of the Course Catalog in Academy Connection. Message ID: XP-ERR-003N"
    I do have Java installed on this computer and I made sure that it is enabled in browsers.
    If there is anyone out there who thinks they could help me, I would be very happy.
    The screenshots I have attached are from the cisco academy the first one is showing the error I got when trying to open the assessment and the second one if from the assessment site where they say you can get help for error messages. Yeah, right.
    Thanks, Nicki

Attached Files:

2. NickiO

NickiO Private E-2

Oh, I forgot to add that my system is 32-bit Vista Home Premium and I am up-to-date on Microsoft Updates.

3. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Uninstall your flash player in control panel and then use this to find anything left behind.

http://majorgeeks.com/Adobe_Flash_Player_Uninstaller_d6551.html

Install this version for IE.

http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=5163

You can test flash in your browser here.

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

Edit: I did not link you to version 7 of Java because:

Why is Java SE 7 not yet available on java.com?

The new release of Java is first made available to the developers to ensure no major problems are found before we make it available on the java.com website for end users to download the latest version. If you are interested in trying Java SE 7 it can be downloaded from Oracle.com

What version of Java do you have. It should be Version 6 Update 29. If not you can download the full offline version here.

http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Test it here.

http://java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp

If that fails, I would recommend you install the latest firefox and this flash plugin.

32bit

Edit:
    I did not link you to version 7 of java because:

4. NickiO

NickiO Private E-2

Thanks for the quick response, tjell.
    Unfornutately, these were things that I have done repeatedly before I posted here. I went ahead and repeated them again, using the links you posted, hoping that would make the difference.
    I really do not want to download yet another broswer mostly because that does not solve my problem, just works around it. And it doesn't even do that very well as Chrome not working for me shows.:***
    Is there anything else that can be done to find out why my system does not seem to want to use these external programs?
    Nicki

5. tgell

I came across this on the adobe forums. Does this solve the problem?

[​IMG]

6. grp

grp Private E-2

My solution - ( I have vista utimate and IE 9.something )
    Flash player problems started a few hours ago
    ......after updating flash and html 5 ........
    Did the usual - uninstalling / rebooting / reinstalling .. and no luck
    read the above and did this
    IE menu-bar > tools > internet options > advanced > reset to defaults
    thanks for the forum

7. NickiO

NickiO Private E-2

Neither of those solutions made any difference.
    I thought that resetting to defaults might work because I have made some changes to settings, but apparently those changes didn't make my browsers stop working.
    Thanks for the attempts :confused
    Nicki

8. tgell

Edit: first see if this fix will help. It is basically saying to add Cisco to your trusted site list.

http://www.ghacks.net/2011/02/16/in...x-filtering-fix-flash-java-and-other-plugins/

I am not sure if this will work because you say is also involves Chrome, but you can try this utility. Complete Internet Repair. Only check the box relating to IE9 and press. GO.

http://majorgeeks.com/Complete_Internet_Repair_d7183.html

If this does not work you can uninstall the version of Flash you now have and install the previous version here but the latest version has security fixes so only do this to test the Cisco site and at your own risk.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  9. grp

grp Private E-2

More Info
    sorry "My solution" above .. was FAR FROM COMPLETE
    I also did all of the below .. and then did "My Solution" again
    Control Panel > Programs > REMOVED all of these .. and then rebooted
    all Apple programs - Safari , I-tunes QuickTime and 2 others
    all Adobe programs except Reader 10.(which was also upgraded yesterday with Flash)
    and Google Chrome and Google TOOL Bar

As mentioned in my prev post I have Vista Ultimate . It used to be very unstable
    and does not play well with others . I still don't trust it .. so it's hard to tell what or who
    (Apple Adobe or MSFT) is responsible

Thanks again for the forum

10. NickiO

NickiO Private E-2

The problem in Chrome is different than the one I am having with IE9. With IE9, I can't access the Cisco Academy website at all. After logging in, I get a page that says I need to install Flash Player (alrdy installed). With Chrome, I can't access the practice SBA that uses Packet Tracer. That page says I don't have a Java Runtime Engine configured (again, alrdy installed)
    Would it help to uninstall IE and reinstall?
    Nicki

11. tgell

On the Cisco page that cannot run flash in IE, did you try to add that to your trusted site as in my previous post explained here.

http://www.ghacks.net/2011/02/16/in...x-filtering-fix-flash-java-and-other-plugins/

If that does not work, if you are allowed the option to remove IE9 in ADD/Remove programs, you can remove it and use IE8 instead. Some people have reported your problem using IE9. But before you try that option, why not try the portable version of firefox. When installing, just point it to a folder on your desktop. You can run it directly from the folder. You might be prompted to install the flash plugin for firefox when you go to Cisco. After use, you can just delete the folder.

http://majorgeeks.com/Firefox_Portable_d4424.html

I am not familiar with Chrome but is there any way to whitelist Cisco in the settings of Chrome. Maybe this would help your Java problem.

12. NickiO

NickiO Private E-2

tgell, thank you for the time and effort you have put into finding a solution for me!
    I neglected to add to my last note that none of the items you listed in post 8 made any difference.
    I looked in Add/Remove Programs and IE9 is not listed.
    At one point, I had Firefox set up on this computer, but had to remove it for some reason, it's been so long ago that I don't remember why.
    On a humorous note, when I contacted Cisco for help, they told me to ask my instructor...who is the one who told me to contact Cisco.
    Nicki

13. tgell

Well, I just found out that you cannot remove IE9 in ADD/Remove Programs which is kind of ridiculous in my opinion. You have to remove it from the Updates Section. I would strongly suggest you try the portable version of firefox first. Good Luck.

Edit: I am not sure if it would make a difference but create a Restore Point before you decide to remove IE9.

http://www.7tutorials.com/how-remove-internet-explorer-9

14. NickiO

NickiO Private E-2

Good point on making a restore point! I might not have.
    Nicki

15. NickiO

NickiO Private E-2

Uninstalled IE9, which automatically installed IE8, but still can't view the website.
    I am beginning to think the only way to really fix this problem is to reformat my hard drive.
    Nicki

16. tgell

In control panel, you should see a Flash Icon. Double click that and select delete all data. Under the storage tab make sure the button "Allow sites to save information on this computer" is checked. "Click Local Storage Setting by Site" and make sure Cisco is not blocked. On the Advanced tab, put your Cisco academy webpage in the trusted window.

Delete all of your IE temp data in C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files. Can you now get on the site? If not try another uninstall and reinstall of flash player.

If the above does not work create another user account and see if you can get into Cisco.

If the above does not work try the complete internet repair utility you tried previously, only you will see the check box for IE8. Because you went back to IE8, uninstall flash and try a reinstall.

http://majorgeeks.com/Complete_Internet_Repair_d7183.html

If the above does not work then I am out of ideas but I would definitely try firefox before I would reformat the drive.

17. NickiO

NickiO Private E-2

I thought sure that this was going to be the answer, but nothing changed after I made the changes in Flash and repaired IE9.
    I know it would be easier to download Firefox than it would be to format my hard drive, but something is wrong with my system and using a third browser doesn't fix the problem, it just ignores it.
    Tgell, thank you very much for all your help. I appreciate everything you did.
    NickiO

18. tgell

Sorry I was not able to get the problem fixed. One last question. You did disable Active-X filtering in IE9 options, correct?

19. NickiO

NickiO Private E-2

I clicked on Tools, then clicked on ActiveX Filtering. In the link you included in Post #8, it said to click Tools, then Safety. I didn't have the option of clicking on Safety, but I assumed it was the same thing.
    To make sure it was (or wasn't) working, I went to YouTube and made sure.
    NickiO

20. NickiO

NickiO Private E-2

I just wish it had worked for me!
    NickiO

21. elgeras27

elgeras27 Private E-2

I have a problem with Packet Tracer and its because the ICP extension that you have to enable the ExApp in the extension mode in Configuring exapps something like that. Hope that can Help you with the error you have

22. elgeras27

elgeras27 Private E-2

Sorry is IPC

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds