ftp solutions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FED UP, May 20, 2010.

1. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

I have recently gone to work for my brother's photography business as a videographer. We want to set up an FTP arrangement, and when i google "setting up an FTP server" I am barraged with such an enormous amount of garbage that it would literally take me hours to sift through all this stuff to find helpful information. I was wondering if there's anyone out there who has experience with FTP or something similar that is free (or shareware) and fairly easy to use, that could perhaps point me in a good direction as to where to find current and accurate information on either setting up an FTP server or setting up a similar arrangement so that me and my brother can transfer files in sizes of 8gigs and larger between our computers, located in different parts of the same city.
    My brother and I do have FILEZILLA downloaded, but i downloaded it not knowing how complicated getting it to work seems to be .
    Thanks for your time !

2. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

3. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

i will check it out. thank you very much.

4. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

Ok, im not dumb, or new to computers by any means, but after looking at the manual pages for http://www.openssh.com/ (open BSD?) i feel like I need a degree in computer science to understand it and get it to work. I do appreciate your assistance, collinsl, but i was hoping for something a bit simpler. Maybe the app you are recommending IS simple to use, but it certainly doesnt appear to be, based on the web site and manual pages.
    Any further comments or suggestions from anyone are welcome and encouraged.
    Thanks !

5. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

I haven't used it, but this seems to be a very simple FTP server to setup.

If your using a router, you will need to forward a port, usually port 21 for FTP, to the machine running whatever server software you decide to use.

6. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

Ok im gonna check out Teamviewer after work today - dont you have to set up a remote server to make these things work ? I'm not sure how to go about doing that since ive never done it before.
    Thanks for all of your input MG rocks !

7. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

I have teamviewer and I can say it is a great solution. It is a client-to-client program over port 80, which is HTTP so it will get through any web filter. I did not consider this as an FTP solution because I mainly use it for remote desktop through restricted firewalls.

8. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

I have used Filezilla, but many chinese 'hackers' try to gain access. You can watch as IPs from China connect and people try to hack in - it's kinda fun. But Filezilla has plenty of security measures.
    But I also want to offer up an alternative:
    http://www.gbridge.com/
    Gbridge = Gbridge is a free software that lets you remotely control PCs, sync folders, share files, and chat securely and easily. An extention of Google's gtalk service, Gbridge automatically forms a collaborative, encrypted VPN (Virtual Private Network) that connects your computers and your friends' computers directly and securely. Gbridge has many unique features.
    You need a gmail account.

9. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

foogoo i like the looks of Gbridge.
    Thanks to everyone for your ideas .
    Im fairly certain that one of these will work for us !
    thanks again to all !

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds