Full Screen in Dual Monitors

Discussion in 'Software' started by Barqu, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Barqu

Barqu Private E-2

So this is my first set up of Dual Monitors, i have the Nvidia 9500 graphics card, a 22 and a 17 inch acer monitor, and want to be able to run something in full screen while writing or playing a game on the other monitor. Such as playing a Youtube Video while typing a paper on the subject of the Video. Is there any way to set this up?
    Thanks in Advance
    Josh

2. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Open your browser in one window and open your word processor in the other. Just drag each window to the monitor you prefer to use it on. I use Ultramon on my main PC. This guy has a free and a Pro version that's cheaper but still does quite a bit. Both shareware versions have a trial period

3. RuidosoPC

RuidosoPC Private E-2

On my setup, the difference is the clone setting where both monitors display the same content or what I think you want is "Extended" desktop where you can drag one window to one monitor and have a different window open on the other.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  4. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Do you have the second monitor attached to your computer? Do you have a display on the second monitor?

5. Deckard

Deckard Private E-2

Ultramon is indeed the easiest for managing applications on dual displays. I used it for a short while a couple years ago, when I was running dual monitors, and Ultramon was indispensible. IMHO, it's worth the price if you intend on running dual displays for a long time.

6. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Can you state some specific points you liked about it? I've been using dual monitors for over 4 years and I've never used UltraMon. The nVidia nView Desktop Manager software that came with a nVidia graphics card provides enhanced features for multiple monitors. I believe ATI's software also provides enhanced features for multiple monitors.

But, even without third-party software to provide enhanced features for multiple monitors, Windows allows users to move applications back and forth between monitors.

About the only additional thing I can think of that I would probably like about UltraMon is the ability to have a separate taskbar on each monitor for the applications open on that monitor.

7. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

No, you don't really need a special graphics card, since most newer cards with two ports for monitor connections will support dual monitors. Many cards will have one VGA port and one DVI port. If the monitors have different type connectors, adapters can be used; for example, a DVI-to-VGA adapter can used on a DVI port to run a VGA monitor.

8. Barqu

Barqu Private E-2

Yea i have it all attatched and running. I even have different desktops backgrounds set up (that was a bit of work lol, after i finished i felt stuid). Now, i had had a program that extended my taskbar, but i didnt' really need that since i usually tab to programs anyways. What i would like to do, is run 2 full screen applications, at the same time. So i could be typing, while watching a video like i said. I have been just zooming in on webpages to watch movies, but that only works with webpages like youtube. I would like to be able to maybe run WMP in full screen, while surfing the net, and not having it go to windowed mode. It's more just for optimization than anything, but i still would like to be able to do it. I'm thinking maybe a change in my registry?

9. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

You shouldn't need to alter the registry. I'm able to run WMP, MPC and VLC fullscreen on one monitor while using the other monitor for other purposes.

10. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Just Playin is right. Barqu, have you tried this?

11. Deckard

Deckard Private E-2

As mentioned, i used it only for a short while 2 years ago, so I am no expert on the subject. But I liked the ability to assign individual applications to a specific monitor or move them from one monitor with just one click. Ofcourse, the individual taskbar on each monitor was useful.

Also, i was easily able to play a game full screen on one monitor while running speed fan or other monitoring software on the second screen. Another cool, but realistically useless feature was the ability to assign a different wallpaper to each screen. Probably, all or most of this was possible with the nvidia drivers (or even XP itself) a couple of years ago, but I found ultramon so easy to use that I never bothered with the other utilities. The fact that it worked flawlessly was also in it's favor.

12. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Deckard, thanks for that reply. I believe I can do all that via nVidia nView Desktop Manager except putting an individual taskbar on each monitor. However, I do have the impression, based on your comments and other references I've seen regarding UltraMon, that some of these enhanced functions for multiple monitors are easier to enable and/or configure with UltraMon.

13. Deckard

Deckard Private E-2

No problem.:)
    Incidentally, due to this thread, and Just Playin's Multimon recommendation, I was intrigued enough to install it and test it out at work, on a XP notebook (intel integrated video) and a HP 17" LCD monitor. It works fine..I have a taskbar on each monitor as well as the ability to quickly send apps from one monitor to the other. This functionality is what I need most for work...I think I'll maintain this setup now. It's nice to be back in the dual monitor world! :)

14. Barqu

Barqu Private E-2

Hey thanks all for your help! i do like ultramon, and for all those out there that don't have dual monitors, i would advise you to get into it asap! its amazing the productivity and fun you get from it!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds