Functionality Issues

Discussion in 'Software' started by grc123, May 25, 2008.

1. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Two questions tonight if I may please (since the ball has sort of been dropped on my most recent query(ies)?

When the page won't keep up with the mouse, speed, clicks, etc. - it is problematic ... and VERY annoying. In other words, say I scroll down to click on a certain email for instance, but because the page doesn't move also (moves way slow), when I click on whatever it is that I want to click on, it ends up being something else that opens, because the actual scrolling hasn't caught-up to the actual movement that I had made with the mouse - and the page "jumps" or scrolls, late. Does this make sense (am I getting the point across) please?

Also, in Firefox, I'm having trouble getting the "Remember Me on this Computer" type of stuff to "stick" - like at this (MG's) website for instance, when I "Login" or "Sign-in" (or whatever - "in"), sometimes it seems to remember me, but other times (usually) - not. I have the site cookies set in CCleaner, that I wish to "keep", but I'm wondering if one of my (security) programs is bouncing them out whenever I periodically run the scans? I'm thinking maybe "Advanced WindowsCare v2"? Though the PC is also scanned with SpyBot S&D, Windows Defender, and a couple of others.

Any clues?

Thanks,
    g ...

2. Cat_w_9_lives

Cat_w_9_lives Major KittyCat

Have you checked the mouse? Control Panel > Mouse (should be a click adjustment there) also check the battery if wireless.

Sorry very seldom use FF.

3. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I've checked the mouse in CP - all seems well there (and it's not wireless). It seems more to do with the pages than the mouse. I'm trying to figure-out how or why this would occur - I have a fast internet connection (cable modem approaching 'T1' [I think it is?] speed - not the fastest connection available - but not far from it, it's pretty fast), so that's not the issue either.

I've seen this as well on my folks PC too - both are Dell's, mine is Vista, theirs with XP , but I think it has something to do with the configurations that I have set because I am the only one trying to tweak these two PC's!?!

4. Cat_w_9_lives

Again don't use FF but look at your add-ons, disable one at a time and see if you notice a difference. Certain programs like a Web filter in Avast can slow you down too.

5. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Ah-hah ... I did just recently switch to Avast on the PC w/XP ... I suppose when I get back to that one, I'll need to figure-out how to temporarily 'disable the web filter', and see if that's what it is -

Thanks again ...

6. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Thank you for the information on FF/CCleaner - I will now do my best to begin a journal or notebook of record for the two PC's that I desperately try to maintain (per a suggestion from you a while back ... I think that that is a wonderful idea - thanks!).

But no, I did not realize that the post RE: "Notepad" would not get answered because: 1. I do in fact have a firm belief that the problem is malware-caused (though my firm belief's regarding anything much technical do not "mean" much - that is why I try to bring my questions here), and 2., I posted (copy/pasted) the information (issue) into my post - so it could be visually considered ... I suppose I have a much greater time (nearly impossible at times) trying to explain some of these things.

I did forget (and please accept my apology for that) that I am required to do the 'read/run me', first. We did just go through that process not much more than two weeks ago here, and the thread of 100+ posts just seemed to fizzle or fade on me. It just seemed to fall apart near the end(?). I am not sure what might be gained by again attempting to do that - the logs and posts are on recent record here (or am I missing something, yet again please?)

I hold this out as no excuse, nor do I expect ANY special treatment, however I do now feel the need to state that I am - unfortunately - in an extremely poor health/medical condition(s) - mainly a spinal/neurological defect (a combination of congenital and acquired), if it must be stated. This causes me near complete distraction, and does also cause memory lapse in addition to great difficulty in my ability to concentrate. I am approximately 75% preoccupied with the medical state and the pain(s) caused by it. This is an "average" approximation ... for every day that I am only 50% consumed, there are equal numbers of days that I am completely disabled. I wish it were otherwise (obviously), but it is not - it is a hard reality for me. Again, not an "excuse", merely a reason - an attempt to explain (however lame or feeble it may be) for my problems with communication here. I'm NOT asking for ANY sympathy - I only ask for a bit of patience, and some sort of understanding - that's all.

Thanks in advance.

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

tart FF in safe mode (no hemes and addons). To do this go to start/programs/ mozilla Firefox and click on the safe mode option.
    If the browser is more responsive than an addon or two is causing the slowdown. If you notice no difference then it might be security programs running and filtering everything or malware.

8. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

will do - thanks again and as always! i'll post back (with result) as soon as i can - may be a couple of days though ...

Oh, what's "hemes" please?

9. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

lol - thought it might be - but couldn't quite figure it out Thanks!

10. plodr

:eek: Sincere apologies for my incoherent post. I'm typing on my eeepc and a few of the keys require a harder tap than I give them. I sometimes don't catch the lack of a letter here and there.
    tart should have been start but since tart is a word, spellcheck doesn't flag it.

11. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

uhhh, ahhh not so much on the FF Safe Mode option. Responsiveness increased "perhaps" a "smidge" (a hair ... a little bit), but so little as to barely be noticeable. Now, it seems if I hold my breath, stand on one leg, jump up and down, whilst flapping my arms, the mouse works better (but it's really hard to use whilst the flapping is ongoing!!!).

Must be a (several??) security progs causing it ... I'm really not trying to hear that it could be dreaded malware induced ... but could it really???

Thanks ...
    PS - DANG IT!!! I "had seemed" to have gotten-back some of the functionality of other things (such as being able to select "B"/Bold, "I"/Italics, and/or "U"/Underline, like the ones positioned above this posting box) - somehow or other, that is, until THIS post ... I can't for the life of me figure-out what is causing this and some other problems to occur intermittently as they are occurring(?!?).

12. plodr

Beg or borrow another mouse from a friend just to rule out the mouse as the culprit. Mice do go bad and do strange things.

13. Cat_w_9_lives

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds