Gadgets do not display in 'user' account

Discussion in 'Software' started by GoshenGeek, Feb 5, 2015.

1. GoshenGeek

GoshenGeek Corporal

Platform: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
    Laptop: ASUS K52F

I have two accounts - an admin & a user account. My gadgets always display correctly in the admin account. But maybe 50% of the time they do not appear in the user account. I usually have to reboot to make them appear. I have searched the web and have tried **every** remedy I can find. Nothing works. Still seems to be hit or miss as to whether the gadgets appear in the user account. When the gadgets in the user account do not appear, even right clicking on the desktop and choosing "Gadgets" does not work - the gadgets window does not appear. Note that I am very diligent about ensuring that Windows and all other software are up to date. I also periodically (approx. every 1-2 weeks) scan my laptop with Avira, Malwarebytes, Windows defender, TDSSKiller, Gmer, etc. as well as run SFC.

Any ideas? Is this just a bug in Windows 7?

2. GoshenGeek

GoshenGeek Corporal

Sorry, you are correct, I should have included more details. For the 'Administrator" account, gadgets **always** display correctly. For the 'Standard' account, whether the gadgets appear is hit or miss - that is, intermittent.

I am using these gadgets:
    Alarm clock
    RAM Monitor
    CPU Monitor

Here are details of what I tried:
    - Control panel ==> Uninstall program ==> Turn windows features on or off ==> ensure that "Windows gadget platform" is checked. I tried turning the gadget platform off, then back on.

- Control panel ==> "Restore desktop gadgets..." - Note that when my gadgets do not appear, clicking on this or any other item in the Control Panel under "Gadgets" do not work. That is, nothing happens when I click on "View list of running gadgets", "Add tegh clock gadget to the desktop", etc.

- Ensuring that Windows Color Management is set to Default Profile

- Issuing the following in an elevated command window then rebooting:
    egsvr32 msxml3.dll
    regsvr32 scrrun.dll
    regsvr32 jscript.dll
    Note that sometimes (but not always) after rebooting my gadgets will appear regardless of whether I execute this step. So really unknown if this step works or not.

- Stop and start Sidebar service

- SFC /Scannow

- Start ==> ALl programs ==> "Desktop gadget gallery" - When this problem occurs in the 'standard' account, nothing happens when I choose "Desktop gadget gallery"

Comments??

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds