Gah! Windows 10 Updates!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mwcats, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Mwcats

Mwcats Private E-2

I upgraded my Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 last year. No problems whatsoever for the whole year.

Now with the Anniversary Update and todays Cumulative patch I am going nuts! When I downloaded the update it took 9 hours for the Anniversary Update to load and install. After that my computer wouldn't wake from sleep any longer. I finally found that was a common problem and installed the "cure" and now things are working right again although I had to also roll back a driver.

Today the Cumulative Update came out and I downloaded and tried to install but after 4 hours I shut down the computer (bad I know). I had to use my reboot USB to get it to load and start up. Something has to be wrong, I have cable high speed internet.

Any thoughts? I will see if I can keep putting off the update as long as I can until I hear from someone and keep researching online also!

Thanks in advance!

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

I can't say what your particular problem was but, at least one other forum member had problems with the Anniversary build on her laptop and rolled back to 1511, 10586.585. Not all equipment is forward compatible.

My two Dell laptops (Latitude E6400, Inspiron 15-5555) are running the Anniversary issue plus yesterday's patch without issue.

3. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

There are four Win 10 systems here and of two I have updated to day, one has the same problem as yours and so do all these others HERE. The thread contains the solution but it's clear that WU has an issue with KB3189866.

satrow and StruldBrug like this.
  4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

5. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

That has now become three out of four. The simple, tested answer is to fire up Internet Explorer and download the update from the Microsoft Update Catalog and install it yourself.

6. Mwcats

Mwcats Private E-2

Thank you everyone!! Just downloaded and manually installed the update and everything seems to be working ok. I hope this isn't an issue everytime there is an update :(

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds