Gain access of OSX hard drive through Linux

Discussion in 'Software' started by fattwinkie, Aug 1, 2011.

1. fattwinkie

fattwinkie Private E-2

Howdy guys!

I'm trying to pull data from a busted Macbook which the hard drive still works perfectly, only problem is I don't have access to another Mac to perform the data backup.

Normally for Windows I would use Linux or a PE to backup data because they bypass the permission settings from the host OS. I have the OSX hard drive with Ubuntu running and I have access to the drive but on the folders like "root" "users" and etc, Ubuntu doesn't allow me to go any further because I do not have the correct permissions and it wont let me change them.

Is there anyway for me to gain access to these folders on Ubuntu?

2. ichase

ichase Corporal

Greetings fattwinkie,
    I have had great success recoving data using the KNOPPIX live CD. This has many tools and mounts just about any drive.
    Just make sure you download the correct language of choice.

Best of luck.

Ian

3. hawklord

hawklord Master Sergeant

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds