Game Rig

Discussion in 'Software' started by abbtheba, Apr 21, 2007.

1. abbtheba

abbtheba Private E-2

2. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

3. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

No way, stay AMD and go ATI. Pretty much any of the ATI cards in the same class are great.

4. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

but they arent DX10 cards...where is your reasoning here besides just being a fanboy? Face the facts buddy; Intel is better than AMD and ATI doesnt have any DX10 cards yet

5. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

Name a game that takes advantage of DX10? I've only ever had driver problems with Nvidia cards. ATI cards have only given me one driver problem, which wasn't even the cards fault.

6. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

its called future-proofing; true there are no DX10 games out yet but come on man, take a look at Crysis or any other DX10 game for that matter. ive never had any problems with nvidia cards and im sure the same goes for most people on either side, ati or nvidia, but lets not get into something about that right now, ok? we're here to try and help this guy find the best parts for the money.

Ill pose this question for abbtheba: would you like to have DX10 capabilities for future games or is that not a big deal to you? yes, the ATI cards cost less but IMO i would get an 8600GTS with the option of SLI later (that is, if you get an SLI-capable motherboard)

check out the VGA charts for the FACTS: http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_2007.html

7. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

SLI is one of those rare points when I'd advise deviating to NVidia. The benefits of double cards out weigh the negatives. For a single setup though, I'm still very much an ATI supporter.

What card are you running now?

All that aside, you might consider looking at 3btech.net. The shipping is part of the price, so it may end up cheaper on some components.

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Flight Simulator X

As for my own experience, and only recently turned Nvidia supporter, ATI has given me all sorts of driver hell.

9. Anon-15281db623

Anon-15281db623 Anonymized

For the money, switch the processor over to E6600

The Video to a 8800GTS for $15 more after a rebate, or the 8600 as advised above if your budget is really tight.

10. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

If he jumps to the inferior Intel, then he has to change Mobo's as well. AMD's run faster and cooler in my experience, so if he's gaming, AMD is the way to go.

I have noticed that the manufacturer seems to have something to do with the quality of video cards.

11. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

12. Anon-15281db623

Anon-15281db623 Anonymized

For an extra $13.01, you can get a faster computer. All I changed was the motherboard, the processor, and video card. All of which are improvements over what you had selected, and is by far the best bang for your buck. You can even lower the price if you shop around and find some deals, especially on the case, or if you want, save $30 and go for an open box motherboard.

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.asp?ID=3543351

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds