Games Causing Simulator Sickness: Is there a way to disable camerabobbing?

Discussion in 'Software' started by aliceaod, Nov 30, 2007.

1. aliceaod

aliceaod Private E-2

I suffer from simulator sickness (motion sickness) from most games due to the camerabob/swaying (head sway) that's built in to most games. Why they put this in, IDK (it doesn't happen in real life). If they think they can "evoke" the sensation of moving, visually, to try and enhance any "reality", it's not working (at least not for me). I think all it does is confuse the brain (brain says, "We're moving." and the inner-ear says, "No, we're not.") and all that does is evoke the BARF mechanism.

I'd like to be able to turn the camerabob/head swaying off, but they never give you that option.

I've tried "sticking with it" (as was suggested in many places when I tried Googling this) to get used to the effect, but it's just not working. I can't do it.

I tried the COD4 demo recently and yep, same thing...swaying was part of the experience (sigh). The camerabob/head swaying generated especially while sprinting is sending me over the edge. I wrote to Activision to see if there's a way to disable it, they said to search for cheat codes. Well, cheat codes is NOT an option for me. I refuse to have any kind of cheats on my computer for ANY game that I play and the only way to get rid of the camerabob in COD4 (that I could find) is to employ the cheat codes. NOT AN OPTION!

Does anybody know a way to disable camerabob/head swaying in games in general? Does anybody have a list of games that this is do-able with and what we need to do to turn it off? I'll try those games.

Right now there's only 2 games I can play: Delta Force 2 and Battlefield 2. I adore these games, however, I'd like to be able to play other games for a change of pace but with this swaying thing they put in other games, it's just not possible (unless there is a way of disabling the camerabob).

2. Jamiko

Jamiko Sergeant

Unless there is an option in the specific game, you are out of luck. Many games do have the option to turn it off so check in the settings.

3. aliceaod

aliceaod Private E-2

There are? I've not seen a game yet that gives you the option. Again, Does anybody have a list of games that this is do-able with? I'll try those games.

4. theefool

theefool Geekified

Civilisation 4. ;)

5. aliceaod

aliceaod Private E-2

Thanks! Civilization 4 looks like a turn-based strategy game. I'm looking more for FPS games something like Battlefield 2. Looks like I'm S.O.L. but thanks to everyone for trying to help me.

6. Jamiko

Jamiko Sergeant

For example, Call of Duty 4 Demo:

You can disable the head bob in the console.

Enable the console in the options menu.
    Load the game and bring up the console with the ~ key.
    type [seta thereisacow "1337"] (without the brackets) Hit Enter.
    type [spdevmap eldaba] Enter.
    The map will reload with cheats activated.
    Bring up the console again and type [player_sprintcamerabob 0]

This disables the camera head bob while running.

You could also try taking a ginger pill before gaming. Seriously.

7. aliceaod

aliceaod Private E-2

Yeah, I know...Sorry, you must have missed this part in my original post regarding COD4 so I'll repeat:
    Even if I *did* turn on the cheats, punkbuster wouldn't like me very much and I'd never get to play on line, which is why I play...single player missions (for me) is only till I get used to the controls, and then it's all on line after that.

8. Jamiko

Jamiko Sergeant

Try the ginger pill option, helps a lot of people. I use it in motorsports where I need to read while someone else is driving. It works and is a cheap thing to try.

9. aliceaod

aliceaod Private E-2

Good thing I like ginger then...I seriously considered taking Dramamine but the stuff makes me too sleepy. The idea that a person has to "take something" before playing a video game is pretty sad. I just wish the guys and gals who come up with these games would just give us the option of turning that off.

I also can't watch a lot of TV shows cos they don't keep the freaking camera still. The movie Eregon...had to leave the theatre and get my money back...the scene changes every 2 seconds made me sick. Yet, I can ride roller coasters till my eyes bleed....sigh.

10. Jamiko

Jamiko Sergeant

I agree, there should always be the option to adjust things like that. There are a couple of games that get to me, but I was able to adjust by turning down the screen refresh rate. Don't know why, but it helped.

11. Satrn

Satrn Private E-2

Try world of warcraft it does have a non head bob option and does have pvp though sadly only a few characters use guns

12. aliceaod

aliceaod Private E-2

Well kids, here's an update to the situation...GINGER PILLS WORK! My hat off to those of you for recommending it.

I decided to try it especially after watching a recent Mythbusters episode where they were trying to find a remedy that didn't cause side effects. I didn't know this, but apparently Chinese fishermen have been using ginger root for eons for this purpose.

I played BF 2142 for a long time with no sickness (and that's the worst for me, I couldn't play it for more than a few minutes without having to shut it off). I still don't like the excessive camera bob and swaying in that game (I find it disorienting). I tried Medal of Honor Airborne, again, same thing and the excessive sway left me feeling dizzy after a while (but not nauseas) and COD4 demo was good, I think I'll be able to handle that game just fine. Thanks again!!!

13. Transcendead

Transcendead Private E-2

I get the same thing, but its way worse when I'm in a closed 3d environment as opposed to a open air like in the combat simulations. For example, I get real sick with Unreal but no problem with BF1942 or CoD of BF2. I play wow a ton and never had an issue there. I think it comes down to how fast things are moving across your field of vision.

I just got a widescreen and let me just say that it doesnt help with my motion sickness, it makes it way worse but I would expect that.

14. aliceaod

aliceaod Private E-2

Sounds like you and I have the same exact problem.

Yes, please DO try the ginger root and check over at the Mythbusters site for the episode about it. Adam will puke at the drop of a hat in a lot of situations and when he was in that chair for the allotted 1/2 hour with NO queeziness whatsoever, I couldn't believe it and they were very suprised at the results also. That prompted me to go out the next day and get a big fat jar of the stuff.

15. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

A video game trick is to kill the color. I had one old NES game that would make me sick very fast, but playing it in Black and White would completely eliminate the problem. Weird.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds