Games hang on new custom PC

Discussion in 'Software' started by TortuousAugur, Jun 8, 2008.

1. TortuousAugur

TortuousAugur Private E-2

I'm having some difficulties with a computer I just got for myself: every 3D game I have ran on it hangs at some point, requiring that I restart the computer. I am unable to alt + tab out, and toggling any of the keyboard locks (caps/scroll/num) shows no effect on the LED on my keyboard. Music still plays in the background, but stutters like it is running at 1FPS or lower, the mouse still moves, but only every now and then, like with the sound. I could probably make a video of this occurrence if it would help solve the problem.
    After looking through the web a bit, I think it may be my motherboard needing an updated BIOS or driver (I'm not too sure if these are considered the same thing or not, I've never had to deal with them before).
    All the drivers for the hardware I have is what came with it, updated through any auto update programs that came with the respective hardware, except my 8800GTX, which is using the latest Omega drivers for nVIDIA cards.

2. TortuousAugur

Sorry, I made a DxDiag, but forgot to post it...

Attached Files:

3. TortuousAugur

Finding this to be the wrong sub-forum. I would edit my posts, but I am not seeing any button for this...
    This topic can be closed/deleted.

4. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

Sometimes the Mobo will need drivers. It should have included a disk to install those drivers. Open the device manager, and make sure your computer is properly detecting the video card and that there are no conflicts.

5. TortuousAugur

I already got mobo drivers installed. I think it was actually the first thing I did when I got the computer up and running with windows.
    Someone else was saying that it might be a faulty gfx card, unless I am misunderstanding them.

6. GameSageZB

GameSageZB Private E-2

Okay, I've never heard of the Omega drivers until you posted it, but would you humor me for a sec and try this driver?

Unless you've already tried it.

Otherwise, yes, it could just be a faulty card.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds