games locking up with sound loop

Discussion in 'Software' started by dcook14, Feb 6, 2009.

1. dcook14

dcook14 Private E-2

Hi

Cookie here - new from East Coast Australia.

Bought new box from online computer supplier to my general spec. as follows;

Asus P5Q-PRO m/b, E8500 intel core 2 duo, 3gb mem, 512 mb nvidia GF 9800gt graphics, 320gb sata2 HDD. This m/b has onboard sound - realtek ALC1200 7.1ch HDA. OP SYS XP sp3. 550w Greatwall Truepwer PSU.

System works fine so far for general use but problems with games.

Most games I have tried so far (eg MOHA, STALKER clear sky, Frontlines Fuel of War. etc) LOCKUP with a repeating sound(loop).

I need to restart system. Not easy on this m/b using front panel buttons. Pressed many times before restart.

Any thoughts re onboard sound compatability etc appreciated.

Cookie (dcook14)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  2. prometheos

prometheos Staff Sergeant

The locked up repeating sound feature may only be a symptom and not the cause, although it could help if you downloaded and installed the latest motherboard drivers. I have a modest system with a pair of nVidia 6800's ( SLI-mode) but I like to crank the graphics to the max. Naturally, at some point in the game the screen will freeze and the sound will loop. The only way out is to hold down the power button for 4 seconds until it reboots. Then I cut the graphics detail ( and/or resolution) down a bit and carry on from there. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds