Gaming LCD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Criminal_chris, May 31, 2005.

1. Criminal_chris

Criminal_chris Private First Class

Ok folks I am going to be buying a new computer, top notch. I need a good Gaming LCD. I have been looking at the dell 2001FP. But I have read about mixed results. Does anybody have any comments. All i know is i want 1600X1200 and preferably 19inch or bigger. I am going to be waiting for a dell deal. Thanks

2. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

I just bought the 2005fpw (20" Widescreen) for $397. So far the widescreen is amazing, and it plays games well. There is a small amount of ghosting, but it really isn't too bad. For less than $400, I couldn't ask for a better monitor..

3. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

LCDs for gaming = bad
    CRTs for gaming = good

Get a crt instead; refresh rates for crts are <.5ms, but for LCDs unless you plan to spend a grab bag of 1000$+ you'll probably be seeing 25ms response time. Closests LCDs come to CRT is 3-5ms which is still slow and the quality isnt always the best.

Plus, as mentioned you have the problems of ghosting, capp'ed resolutions AND tearing.

demented- does that mean I can pm you for my bday [​IMG]

4. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

Omega, have you ever played on an LCD? They aren't that bad. Personally I would never go back to using a CRT. The colors are just so much brighter, and they are much easier on your eyes. And since the response times are getting down around 8-15ms, they are very close to a CRT. There is very little difference between an 8ms LCD and a CRT.

"LCDs for gaming = bad
    CRTs for gaming = good"

Your generalization is just that.... a generalization. People are different.

5. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

Colors being bright and all that good stuff is the quality of the CRT/LCD, if your paying 150$ for a 19" you shouldn't be expecting the world out of it. I think people are thinking "CRTs are so old school and useless" just as if a CRT was a voodoo2 and the LCD is a 6800 512mb. I don't think anyone in their right mind would recommend an LCD over a CRT.

There is still a world of diffrence between 8ms and .3-.5ms. Plus all the other problems inherent of current LCD technology. Im not saying that this wont be the only way to play couple of years down the line from now, just saying that now isnt the best time to get one; specifically for gaming.

6. ANHEDONIC

ANHEDONIC Will Title For Food

shop on Ebay for a new Dell LCD... there are plenty of reputable sellers... you'll probably save $100-$200 easy...

7. NoRuff

NoRuff Private E-2

i havnt looked at screens due to the fact of not having money, but omegas responses caught my attention,

omega heres something to think about, if you pay for the fps monitor and i mean the $500 plus screen u will infact be making a better buy fir gaming, also you need to think about what other people think about things and not just think ur generalization is correct i have lloked upon many differnet forums where there are always mixed choices pertaining to fps and crt monitors, and lately the fps is getting more votes, as i sayd before it all depends on ur experience with the hardware that makes you think what you think about the hardwar types

8. NoRuff

NoRuff Private E-2

also a good place to buy computer products, that are highly reliable is newegg.com

9. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

Whatever you said, im not sure if you insulted me or tryed to make me see a different point. On the other hand i just woke up.

10. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Me neither. :confused:

But anyway, my 2p:

Cheap LCDs are all well and good for browsing, doing word processing, that sort of thing, and they work admirably. However, I wouldn't be caught DEAD using a cheap LCD for anything like graphics. Colour accuracy just isn't good enough. For gaming, response times (for me) are important. I play fast games (UT2004). If I'm using a 25ms LCD, its going to be completly blurred most of the time.

In my opinion, CRTs offer a better colour accuracy AND response time for less money than a almost equivilant LCD. This is why I will not be switching over to LCD any time soon. When LCD technology is more advanced and costs less to produce, then I may consider it.

11. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

woohoo finally some fire support [​IMG] Hey fish thought you were upgradin' your pc?

12. Criminal_chris

Criminal_chris Private First Class

Hmm interesting, so demented how cheap can you get the 2001FP through your source. This monitor is still very appealing. and if i can get it for a cheaper price that would be super. Post back demented i am really interested on what websites you use to get dell products cheaper. Thanks. O ya don't worry i am listening to all your opinions

13. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

Nope, not used. I actually posted a thread on it the same day I bought it. I'll see if I can find it.

There it is:
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=63404

The coupons are expired, but I've seen that price every 2 or 3 months, so just be patient. :)

14. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

That's pretty cheap!

One of the worrying factors with LCD's in my opinion is the dead pixel warranty, or lack of.

I wouldn't buy anything that doesn't offer a no dead pixel warranty.

Some manufacturers will only consider their screens faulty if the pixel is on or off, a certain number apart or a certain number together.

Not sure about Dells pixel warranty, but from the little I have read they seem okay as far as picture and price etc are concerned.

15. crazybowlhead420

crazybowlhead420 Private E-2

i couldn't be happier with this monitor it's a 19inch crt....looks great easy on the eye's has a .20mm dot pitch...and i noticed a improvement in my gameplay when i bought it lol....i still say go crt

Attached Files:

16. crazybowlhead420

lol no wish i did :( haha

17. crazybowlhead420

lol that sucks.....this monitor is sexy i got imo...buttons are hidden on the side ;).....i've fooled a few people and they thought it was an lcd lol

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds