Gaming over Satellite...? Huge lag. (Quake 3)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jerkyking, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

I'm trying to pay Quake 3 with my Brother-In-Law. I have 5 Meg Cable and he recently got satelite from Hughes.net. He gets downloads between 300K to 500K depending on the speed test location. We were able to connect but the lag is huge and his ping was showing up as 750 to 999.

I used to play this game on Windows 95 when Dial-Up was the standard and never had a lag that bad, you would think it would be possible with Satelite.

When I performed the speed tests at his house one of the notes was that "Compression was on" could that be one of the problems?

Thanks

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

3. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

That's what I figured, I did some more research last night and found the latency to be the issue. Never dug into how it worked, just thought faster woule be faster... Thanks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds