garbled display on boot up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by escapethechance, Aug 4, 2006.

1. escapethechance

escapethechance Private E-2

hey guys, couldnt find this problem anywhere in previous threads so my appologies if this has been addressed....

recently my computer (Windows XP, 512mb RAM, nVidia GeForce2 MX 100/200 video card, 80gb&120gb hd, VPR MATRIX tower PC) started displaying everything garbled (for lack of a better word). i would reboot and it would be fine. then it stopped being fine on the reboot. i tried uninstalling and reinstalling video drivers after seeing the daunting yellow exclamation mark in the device manager for my nVidia. this would work upon reboot, but everytime i would shut down and restart the problem would return and i would have to repeat the process. i tried using driver cleanup pro and now the display is even garbled when i try to boot in safe mode (now i know im in trouble). is there anything that can save me? do i need to replace the video card or is their some grander problem here?

any help is GREATLY appreciated. thanks guys!

- gavin

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

If you have an onboard video port...might try shutting down and pulling the nVidia card, booting up, then shut down again and replace the card ...if all else fails, a system restore and see if that helps (might be a corrupt driver).

3. escapethechance

escapethechance Private E-2

will give it a try, anyway to tell if i have an onboard video port? sorry i have no clue about that sort of thing. thanks.

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

The plug for your monitor will fit into another port attached as an integrated part of the motherboard ....under the place where you plub in your mosue and keyboard.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds