Gateway GT5228-no video

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by annenap, May 1, 2008.

1. annenap

annenap Private E-2

A friend was having a problem with her video display being all garbled. I tried another monitor and had the same result, figured that there was something amiss with the onboard video.

I then installed a new video card in the PCI Express slot. Now, I have NO display with either the onboard or new card. I can't even tell if the PC is booting. When I power it up, I get CPU fan and HD running, but no beeps. And since I have no video, I'm blind.

I've tried clearing the CMOS, swapping out the PSU, re-seating the CPU, and swapping out the RAM - to no avail. Any suggestions? I told her I think she needs to replace the mobo (FIC K2BC51), but I can't guarantee that even that is going to fix the problem and could be money down the drain.

As always, much thanks,
    Anne

2. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

If you remove the new video card can you see the screen well enough to check any of your settings or is it so garbled that it is unreadable?

3. annenap

annenap Private E-2

The monitor isn't getting a signal at all either with or without the card (the light on the monitor stays orange).

4. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

Just to be certain that I'm understanding you,
    Video was "garbled"
    Tried with different monitor / still garbled
    Installed new video card / no signal to monitor at all
    Removed new video card (everything back the way it was) /no signal to monitor at all

If this is all correct:
    remove the CMOS battery (small coin shaped battery on motherboard)
    Wait a minute or two
    reinstall CMOS battery
    reboot

Tell us what happens.

5. annenap

annenap Private E-2

Yes, you've got it right.
    I actually had the CMOS battery out for 24 hours and still have the same problem. Thanks.

6. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

Sorry
    The only thing that is left (as far as I can see) is to replace the Motherboard.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds